Thread: It's Robo-Hippy!

It's Robo-Hippy!

Yup Reed made the news (at the Oregon Symposium)
    http://democratherald.com/albany/vid...ign=user-share
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Very nice video! Reed did a great job on showing how he turns a bowl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Wow - very impressive. Now how do you turn that fast and not get curlies in your face (or beard)?

Mike

It was another fun gathering. They young woman who did the video work was having a blast in the shavings... "I have wood shavings all over me!" The most interesting thing to me about the news coverage we got, both in the paper and the news video is how many of the local people came to see the event. The instant gallery and vendor area was entertaining to them. I met one gentle man, 92 years old who came by and commented that he wanted to see me turn because I was using 'flat' tools. His brother used to make scrapers from planer blades when they were young.

Mike, I was turning slow.... Well for me. I do stand out of the line of fire for the wood, and for the shavings. A scraper makes that a bit easier for the shavings... I do come home with shavings every where....

One other side note, Ralph's wife Ellen makes excellent sticky buns..... If you ever get the chance..

robo hippy

As I understand it that event will be held in Arizona next year and I look forward to attending. Robo Hippy is my most often go to videos on YouTube. I've seen some of the them so often that I sometimes find myself repeating his words while working on the lathe .... "ride the bevel, ride the bevel".

Yikes, keep it up and you'll talk me into a trip next year.

The Oregon Woodturning Symposium was set up to be on the 'every other year' basis so that the Desert Woodturning Round Up, and the Oregon Woodturning Symposium would give an 'out west' experience every year.

robo hippy

I must say I was most struck by the high dollar calipers... something so simple I had never thought of and has many uses.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I picked up the idea for those calipers from none other than Dave Ellsworth. They work as well as any thing else I have seen...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    One other side note, Ralph's wife Ellen makes excellent sticky buns..... If you ever get the chance.. robo hippy
    Thank you! I love an excuse to make them.