Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LudCab Shop

Time spent with your Gracie is time well spent no matter what! New clothing can always be acquired and the old ones kept for "shop time with dad".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hope you post pics of the way they attach the poles to the slab. Little kids are fun, after my granddaughter turned 10, she has no time to hang out with papa.

I will. I'm quite curious myself. April 3rd...

Behind a week because of weather. A week, pfft.

They showed up yesterday at 8am and the semi with material showed at 8:45. The storms came at 11-11:30 but they managed to get all the posts set.

IMG_7326.JPG IMG_7327.jpg

When I pulled up to the site at noon, they were sitting in their trucks. "BREAK'S OVER!" I yelled when they rolled down the window. Foreman lifted a beer and replied, "What?" Being the complete hard-ass that I am, I had them follow me back to my current shop locale so they could get wet but enjoy it.

IMG_7324.JPG

They kept all the perch in a separate bucket and I dumped them on a bucket full of crappie. By the time they checked into the local lodge/cabin and made it back to my place I had cleaned 15 perch and had started on the first of 35 crappie. The caught enough to fill up 3 1gal zip lock bags of fillets. I sent them home for the night with a bottle of propane, a burner, and oil. They stopped at the store for other vitals.

Weather didn't break till noon today. So, in total, they've put about 8-9 hours on the slab.

IMG_7329.jpg IMG_7328.jpg

Scissor truss perlins are all laid out for tomorrow morning. I'm picking the tractor up from NAPA at 8am (because I knocked out the front window last weekend) and I'll help them lift and set the trusses. Watch for dead pines when clearing tree line and shrubbery. That's all I'll say.
    -Lud

Looking good. Hope the weather cooperates for ya.
    Jeff

Update:
    I helped them set all the trusses. One fella had to leave cause of family concerns. I was happy to help.
    04122017 (1).jpg

A lot gets done in one day. 3 boys showed up at 4:45pm and they all worked till 7:30. Carpenter ants... They went from only the poles set to partially skinned in one day.
    04122017 (2).jpg 04122017 (5).jpg 04122017 (7).jpg

I found their method of straight lining for screws interesting. When they built my Dad's shop 17 years ago, they used string line and chalk. I asked him how long he built barns before he figured out this trick: "too long" was his answer. 1st pic is about 10 sheets pre-drilled at once. 2nd pic is of the gable sides, they're staggered after drilling to match the rake and then cut to length all at once.

04122017 (6).jpg 04122017 (8).jpg
    -Lud

Front of the shop. Still have a lot of fill to bring in.

04152017 (4).jpg

Finish room and office/bathroom.

04182017 (1).jpg

Spray booth.

04182017 (2).jpg

Open floor space.

04182017 (3).jpg
    -Lud

Hey Justin, the shop is coming along really nice! I like the front porch. You are one busy man.
    Jeff

Nice dude. I debated a long timer about construction methods on my building. Poles was up there in the available choices.

The cool thing about this project is the poles are not buried in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    The cool thing about this project is the poles are not buried in the ground.
    I agree....and like that method for a "pole barn". There's no wood in the ground. No matter how it's treated, eventually something's going to want to eat it. This method is likely a bit more precise, too.
    --

I asked my builder how common is was for this method and he said it's becoming a lot more common. He also said a lot of cities' codes will not permit poles in the ground because of the eventual rot. They drilled and ran a bolt through all the brackets after the walls and building were squared up.

Insulation started Wednesday. They are doing a great job keeping everything clean and layering it properly. Walls are finished and have 1.5" closed cell. Roof is about 50% complete with the 2nd inch. I'll start mounting electrical boxes and conduit this weekend.

I've been shopping dust collectors. It makes my head hurt. Having it engineered is way outta my budget (as I found out by a huge quote). I'm on the same page as Martin when it comes to buying used over new equipment. Now that I'll have 3 phase, my options are wide open.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I've been shopping dust collectors. It makes my head hurt. Having it engineered is way outta my budget (as I found out by a huge quote). I'm on the same page as Martin when it comes to buying used over new equipment. Now that I'll have 3 phase, my options are wide open.
    I got real lucky finding my baghouse. The size, price, and proximity couldn't have been more ideal. Hopefully it works. I still haven't put power to it...

I'm glad to hear you're using the closed cell spray foam...it's not only efficient as an insulator, it adds considerable stiffness to the structure. That may help cut noise, too, because of vibration dampening.
    --

Talking

They finished spraying today.

The humidity today was about bordering 217%. We were attempting to spray sanding sealer in my other shop and just gave it up, even maxing out retarder.

I got a call from insulation folks that all work was complete so I shut down for the day to check it out. HOLY SCHNIKIES! The temp in the shop felt 20*F less than it was outside. The humidity was gauged at -17%. Our skin started drying out. What a difference. I was really taken aback when I walked through the door. Pics tomorrow.

All numbers in the post are totally real and substantiated by my pending meteorological degree.
    -Lud