Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After saying I would never drink the Green Koolaid

After saying I would never drink the Green Koolaid

The Craig's List add said $500 and I said why not give it a try.

And so it starts....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

BTW the Domino assortment with the cutters is $304 in the US, order it from Amazon Germany for $185 shipped. I made my last order on Sunday night and got it Wednesday but will likely take 2-3 extra days to WA. If you need other stuff like German handtools you can spread the shipping out more but even so you save $120. Don't bother doing the math, plenty of people have done it and the assortment is an excellent value.

Also go to the Festool Domino page, look halfway down on the right to the manuals and documentation and download the supplemental manual by Rick Christopherson it will give you a good overview of what and how to use the Domino and of course there are tons of youtube videos.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-20-2017 at 5:36 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

$500?? Come on, that's a steal especially in the green world.

Congrats

Nice purchase.

$500 borders on theft!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lemley View Post
    $500 borders on theft!

Jack
    The number is bizarre on both sides, consider the seller got about 70% of what he paid for it years ago when he bought it new 6-7 years ago.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You'll love it and find lots of places where you can use it on a project. I don't think there's another Festool tool that's as unique as the Domino.

And I think $500 is a great price for it. Buy the additional cutters (if you don't have them) and the domino assortment, as Van suggests.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I plan to buy one in the future (hopefully near future). Guess Van is the guy I need to talk to to get the deals!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I plan to buy one in the future (hopefully near future). Guess Van is the guy I need to talk to to get the deals!
    If you are buying Domino new sign up for eBay Bucks. At least once a month they offer 8 or 10% back in the program. Then at the end of the quarter you get to use the "bucks" just like cash on eBay for anything. I always tend to plow the money back into Festool stuff since I can usually find better deals off eBay for most things. There are a bunch of Festool retailers on eBay, I tend to buy from CPO and Hartville.

Amazon UK and Germany (.de) are very good for accessories and are usually 30-40% lower even after shipping.

One other thing a new Domino owner should do is sand down a handful of each size Domino, take enough off so they are easy to insert and remove (but not so much you can wiggle them) so you have them for dry fitting. Mark sure you mark them and keep them separate.

A guy who is highly jealous of your excellent purchase is sitting in front of a screen typing in Ohio...Congrats and nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If you are buying Domino new sign up for eBay Bucks. At least once a month they offer 8 or 10% back in the program. Then at the end of the quarter you get to use the "bucks" just like cash on eBay for anything. I always tend to plow the money back into Festool stuff since I can usually find better deals off eBay for most things. There are a bunch of Festool retailers on eBay, I tend to buy from CPO and Hartville.

Amazon UK and Germany (.de) are very good for accessories and are usually 30-40% lower even after shipping.

One other thing a new Domino owner should do is sand down a handful of each size Domino, take enough off so they are easy to insert and remove (but not so much you can wiggle them) so you have them for dry fitting. Mark sure you mark them and keep them separate.
    Amazon Canada a month (or two) ago had some promotion on Home improvement that applied to tools as well. What was odd was that it was 5%, or 10%, or 15% depending on the volume of purchase, but if you applied all three coupons you would get 30% off and it did apply to Festool tools!!. I couldn't believe I didn't buy anything because I don't need anything Festool anymore but some folks got some excellent deals.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Amazon Canada a month (or two) ago had some promotion on Home improvement that applied to tools as well. What was odd was that it was 5%, or 10%, or 15% depending on the volume of purchase, but if you applied all three coupons you would get 30% off and it did apply to Festool tools!!. I couldn't believe I didn't buy anything because I don't need anything Festool anymore but some folks got some excellent deals.

I saw that discussed on FOG. Before Xmas eBay had a 20% off three time use coupon I took advantage of and stacked my $50 Pro 5 rebates onto. As a rule I don;t pay retail for Festool, while they have their fixed price system (which is fine) I take it as a challenge to get around it, and I do on almost everything they sell. Now I do buy from my local dealer when I use them to demo a tool but short of that nope!

That is an amazing find and price! I have been watching CL for a while now and see them about $20 off new.

The other green toys have been bugging me to get a new friend for them but I've been resisting...

Van, thanks for the tip about overseas for the accessories! I'm with you and take it as a mission to not pay full price on the Green toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    And so it starts....

Meant as a gloat thread not a Festool thread.