Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After saying I would never drink the Green Koolaid

Thanks for the for the tip Van. I will take a look.

I was surprised I was first in line being the add was about 2 hours old. The 2nd in line was trying to offer more to get it but the seller stuck to his original price and his deal with me. What is odd is he replaced this one with a newer 500 model he for on Craig's List. My thought was if I end up not liking it I can get my money back out of it. I still plan on keeping my biscuit joiners, hollow chisel mortiser, and Jessem doweling jig. For what I would get out of them I will just keep them . They all have their place.

I am guessing something in the range of 6,8 or 10s are the most used dominoes? Is it worth getting a flip stop system from RTS? Looks like nothing is available until the Symtrax is released

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I am guessing something in the range of 6,8 or 10s are the most used dominoes? Is it worth getting a flip stop system from RTS? Looks like nothing is available until the Symtrax is released
    I am guessing Alan meant your decent into the Festool vortex as opposed to oh no here we go again.

I tend to use more 6mm than anything, but also use a good number of 5,8 and 10mm hard to say the exact order. I have used the 4mm on occasion but not often. I think I see where you are going with your question, CMT bits and just the Dominos you think you will need. Consider this, with the 3 CMT bits and the 4 bags of the 6mm, 8mm (2 sizes) and 10mm you are over $150 compare that to the assortment at $185 from Amazon.de which has all 5 bits all 6 Domino sizes and the Systainer to store them in. One thing to note is the assortment has fewer Dominos in each size than the small bags that are $23 but it is still a good bit cheaper even at the $304 US price. The Amazon price is so good I don't usually buy bags of Dominos, I buy a new assortment sell the bit set on Amazon and CLEAR $125 and end up with a full assortment of Dominos and another Systainer for $60 (that Systainer with the 6 boxes is great for screws), I could easily sell the Systainer on CL for $50-60 and get the Dominos for basically free if I was so inclined.

Flip stop...? First, the cross stop works better than it appears it should so use it for a while and see if that covers your bases. Second, you will find the Domino is brutally accurate just using pencil marks across the two pieces for alignment. Think of how much work we do just aligning on a pencil line. That said if you do a lot of production parts type runs the MGS and SCG are nice, if you can find them. I expect the Symtrax to be very nice but wouldn't doubt it will be pushing $250. It should make a fast system faster but will really only show you the money when you are repeating a lot of parts, IMO. It will be well engineered, I assume you know RTS is Rick Christopherson who is the one that does Festool's supplemental manuals.

Te biggest issue is once you have jumped into the green water of Festool it is hard to resist the urge to exhale and just start taking the Koolaid into your lungs, it will sustain you, as good or better than the air above but it tends to be a one-way trip leaving you unable to ever go back and breathe regular air again. You will find your body will go into a state of shock just coming near a Harbor Freight, the danger zone seems to be 10' for each Systainer owned. Some suggest you can wean yourself off with the blue methadone called Bosch but in my experience most people usually relapse and sometimes start experimenting with harder stuff like the cherry Koolaid that is Mafell. Never, ever mix the red and green together or you will find yourself wandering homeless around the streets of Germany pushing a shopping cart filled with Systainers with red and green accents mumbling about no money for wood.

BTW if you use a lot of 1/2 and 3/4" ply the Seneca Domiplate is a must have.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,
    I think you have something stronger in your koolaid. I don't have an addictive personality so it is probably going to be my only one. I would have gone Bosch or HF if they had one. I still like my DeWalt tracksaw. And yes you saw right where I was going. I will probably go with systainer first. After that who knows. I don't have the cross stop. I think I will try it without anything for now and see what happens. Thanks for saving me some money.

Cary

My only Festool is the little hand sander that hooks to a shop vac. Works nicely but way over priced. It was a gift.

If I was to buy a Festool power tool it would be the Domino. I also have a hollow chisel mortiser and biscuit joiner and a pocket screw jig but I can see uses for the Domino. The other tools do what needs done but not as quickly. Maybe the domino will go off patent like the oscillating saws did...