Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connecting Ducting to 8" Dust Gorilla Pro Oddity

Connecting Ducting to 8" Dust Gorilla Pro Oddity

Hi all,

We're starting to hookup our quick clamp ducting to the 5hp dust gorilla pro, and noticed an oddity.

The 8" port that the connector would slide over is less than a half-inch deep on one side, and it's pretty cruddy at the weld.

The reason I'm asking is because I can't get the 8" machine adapter (8.0625" ID) to slide over, and I'm wondering if I need a short piece of flex hose or something to connect to it? Would that even work with such a short piece?

Is this abnormal, and how have others solved this?

Picture attached.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Sayen; 03-20-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding details

You would think Oneida would do a better job than that.

What about using a crimper to make the 8" tube smaller and fit it inside and then tape it off? Even looks like it flares out a bit to accept the crimped fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    What about using a crimper to make the 8" tube smaller and fit it inside and then tape it off? Even looks like it flares out a bit to accept the crimped fitting.
    I don’t think there’s enough room to get a decent tape seal there? I’m wondering if an 8” flex hose with a clamp would be best.

I see your dilemma. Not enough stub at the 9:00 o'clock position to slip over and clamp.
    But plenty of room at the 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00 positions for a sheet metal screw to secure a pipe with crimp on the downstream end to fit inside.
    You can fab or procure a short length of metal pipe to give you needed extension to make the connection you envision. I would guess you could git-'er-done in as short as 6".

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 03-20-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: second picture changes recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vallaster View Post
    I see your dilemma. Not enough stub at the 9:00 o'clock position to slip over and clamp.
    But plenty of room at the 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00 positions for a sheet metal screw to secure a thin-wall metal pipe. Welds on the outside keep the bore smooth, for air passage and for a better seat for the anticipated metal pipe.
    If you're bringing flex pipe to the collector, you can still fab or procure a short length of metal pipe (with crimp on downstream end) to give you needed extension to make the connection you envision. I would guess you could git-'er-done in as short as 6". More is better: turbulence at the entry is reduced as you extend that adapter's length to the minimum the maker recommends.

BobV
    I may not have explained it clearly so I attached another picture up above in my original post. I’m trying to run nordfab quick clamp from start to finish. I attached a picture of the connector (machine adapter with 8.0625" ID) piece I’ve been trying to slip over the inlet, but can’t due to it being nearly identical size, and the rough welds adding to the complexity.

I’m now wondering if I’m going to need to procure a short piece of 8” flex hose and a pair of clamps to slip over the inlet.

The reason I’m thinking flex hose is that it may be more willing to bend/flex than this piece of heavy gauge steel?
    Last edited by John Sayen; 03-20-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: clarity

John,

Every responder is quicker at the keyboard than I am. There was one picture and no reply when I started my post above. When I posted there were several replies and that very helpful picture of metal pipe. So I edited my post only to find you had already responded to the original text. At the risk of looking the complete boob or adding to the confusion... I offer a final amendment.

It appears you could take your shortest available piece of pipe with the custom rolled ends (to receive the clamp), cut off one end (wincing as I type this...) and give it the crimp treatment (find the tool in the gutter or stove-pipe sections of local hardware) to make the slip joint at the entry to the cyclone. Obviates the use of flex hose. Uses available materials.

That's a nice system you have there.

BobV

I'm helping a friend hook up his Oneida collector and we had the same problem.

The Canadian supplier forgot to ship an adapter >

Spiral pipe adapters.JPG

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vallaster View Post
    John,

Every responder is quicker at the keyboard than I am. There was one picture and no reply when I started my post above. When I posted there were several replies and that very helpful picture of metal pipe. So I edited my post only to find you had already responded to the original text. At the risk of looking the complete boob or adding to the confusion... I offer a final amendment.

It appears you could take your shortest available piece of pipe with the custom rolled ends (to receive the clamp), cut off one end (wincing as I type this...) and give it the crimp treatment (find the tool in the gutter or stove-pipe sections of local hardware) to make the slip joint at the entry to the cyclone. Obviates the use of flex hose. Uses available materials.

That's a nice system you have there.

BobV
    Bob,

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them, sorry for the confusion. I'll keep watching this thread and thinking about it.

How nearly identical is it? I just this weeked installed a 7" to 6" transition on my 2HP Grizzly. The last 25 degrees or so of the circle would not fit. I used a dremel to cut 6 1.5" long slits an inch or two apart. Bend the resulting tabs out a bit at a time until it could be beaten on with a rubber hamme

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post
    How nearly identical is it? I just this weeked installed a 7" to 6" transition on my 2HP Grizzly. The last 25 degrees or so of the circle would not fit. I used a dremel to cut 6 1.5" long slits an inch or two apart. Bend the resulting tabs out a bit at a time until it could be beaten on with a rubber hamme
    I’m not sure how to answer that question competently - the machine adapter is 8.0625" ID. I don’t think cutting slits would work as you can see at the 9 o’clock position at one point it protrudes due to the weld, and is only ~1/4” in length.
    Last edited by John Sayen; 03-20-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    I'm helping a friend hook up his Oneida collector and we had the same problem.

The Canadian supplier forgot to ship an adapter >

Spiral pipe adapters.JPG

Cheers, Don
    Sounds like I might have been correct.

It should slip inside the dust collector, not slip over the outside. Should be a very tight fit. Use silicon caulking around the outside.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig White View Post
    It should slip inside the dust collector, not slip over the outside. Should be a very tight fit. Use silicon caulking around the outside.

Craig
    Huh, that would make sense as when I look at the oneida quick-clamp 8" machine adapter they list the OD as 7.95" - that is significantly smaller than the nordfab machine adapter I have (ID 8.0625"). Actually, I need to check on this as nordfab's website lists the same OD as 7.95" as oneida, but my order invoice specifically says ID 8.0625"
    Last edited by John Sayen; 03-20-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: details

Possibly the wrong part? I have the same setup. Once you clear this hurdle, you're going to love it! Was a game changer for me.

Craig