Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad news - looking for a spot for an original SS as my WW days are over.

Sad news - looking for a spot for an original SS as my WW days are over.

Hey all.

I used to be an avid SC reader and supporter. Sadly due to heath concerns, woodworking has taken a back seat, and now it is taking an even bigger back seat..I just am not allowed to do it anymore. I am dismantling my shop.

Here's my question: Most of my stuff is of the craigslist variety and I will pass it on in that fashion, by listing it for free. However, I do have an original sawstop contractor model (52", it does have some rust on the top as it has been sidelined like me for a while). Has iron wings and a good mobile base.

What am I do with it? I tried to donate it to local schools but they were not that interested (used equipment etc). My new thought is to list it somewhere and donate the money to the schools instead. Frankly it is not an easy thing to even get out of my basement (heavy, have to take off the rails and wings to even get out the basement door, etc).

Any suggestions on where/how much to list is for? Should I just call a scrap company to take it to melt down and give up on the idea of netting a donation out of it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim Cleary

In my area, I'd put that saw up on Craigslist. At a reasonable price, it'd be gone in a few days. Or warn the buyers they have to extract it, and knock some off the price for the inconvenience. The kinds of folks who would want a Sawstop would be equipped with a truck, and would not be intimidated by the extraction job.

Yeah, what Jamie said. Just because some organizations are interested doesn't mean it has no value. I bet there are some beginner woodworkers out there who would give their eye teeth for a saw like that! You might contact your local woodworking club and explain your situation. They might be of some help.

Terribly sorry you must give up the habit, er hobby! Real bummer. I hope that you can stay involved in some sort of woodworking even if it's in a small way.

Best to you.
    Doug

Put it on eBay, with no reserve, a $0.99 starting bid, for local pickup only, and you will likely get lots of bidders and a fair price.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

have you tried getting in touch with your local Vets club? With all the rehab centers for Vets, you might find one that gladly take it off your hands for their set up. Be worth a shot.
    Sawdust703

Didn't you try listing your saw and other tools in the Sawmill classifieds?
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 03-21-2017 at 6:16 AM.

Habitat for Humanity will come get any tool that works. Whether they will get it out of the basement may take some discussion. I have donated several stationary power tools to Habitat, and they have always been grateful.

Very sorry for your health concerns, but seriously, that saw ought to bring reasonable coin.

Have you tried AmVets? I find they will often gratefully accept items and it is certainly a worthy cause.

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstance. I'll only be in the northern VA area (fairfax) for another year or so, but if you would be able to carry on woodworking in some capacity with assistance, please let me know, I'd be happy to help out if I'm available. If you really do want to donate the saw, I sold a shop table recently on Craigslist. The gentalman who purchased it was just starting out woodworking. He is a veteran trying to adjust to civilian life after returning from a combat zone. I assume he has PTSD. From what I gathered in our short conversation, he was picking up woodworking to give himself something productive to do while he adjusts. He was interested in my table saw but I was not ready to part with it. I'm sure if he has not already picked up a saw, he would benefit from it. PM me if interested, and I'll try to find his contact info.

Sad that your health is making you stop woodworking...unfortunately, it happens sometimes.

In addition to your current ideas, if you become a contributor to SMC for a mere six bucks, you can put the saw in the SMC Classifieds which targets actual woodworkers rather than a more general audience like Craig's List does.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim, sorry to hear about your health issues.

Not sure where you are located but there may be local woodworking clubs, like we have here in central Ohio - Woodworkers of Central Ohio These clubs may help you with donating the saw, moving it, etc.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I don't understand your problem. When I moved a few years ago I put my shop on CL and had no problem getting a decent price for everything. Carrying it out wasn't easy, but people will do anything for a bargain.
    Why would you list anything for free? You will get dozens of replies from lunatics, and no money for the aggravation.

Sorry to hear about your health situation. Another option for donation would be a Maker Space if you have one locally.

There will be guys knocking down your door from Craigslist, happy to get it out of your basement if you list it for a reasonable price. On a SS even 50% of retail is a good price I think. If you want it gone, list if for 25% and it'll be gone in a day I bet.

Blog Entries
    Is the original sawstop a crappy saw? I'm confused.