Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA.Seals

VA.Seals

I'm carving these 2 seals in Maple (yuck!) and they're 10.5" diameter.
    One trick here for something involved like the wreath is to make a photo copy and using a simple glue stick adhere it to the carving and just carve through it rather than trying to trace it all.
    Using my fingers for general scale you can guesstimate the sizes involved . Though only roughed in at this point the berries were started using a piece of brass tubing as if cutting plugs.
    Relief carvings of figures is always an interesting change of pace from architectural pieces. In such shallow depths it's challenging at times to have the figures appear in depth and dimension where that really doesn't exist.
    For reference I keep referring back to a coin. So little variations in carving depth yet so much can be shown to realistic effect .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 03-21-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Could be my tax dollars at work , glad to see its something good! Will it be painted?

Probably not Mel unless you're paying to have these adorn a dressing room in an estate in Florida. They'll be stained to match the rest of the cabinetry .

He also has a home in NY with matching a seals as well . I guess I now need a set of seals for my dressing room as well that is once I have a dressing area for my wardrobe.
    Does jeans and flannel qualify as a wardrobe?
    The Woodworking Studio

Interesting! Unusual that a private buyer would stay with that lady model!

Well I have no idea what private buyers usually choose I'm just happy I got the job whatever his reason may be.
    The Woodworking Studio

Just googled it and this is exactly what came up as being adopted in 1950 for use on flags etc..
    The Woodworking Studio

Nice work Mark, the relief work is progressing smoothly. I usually work with an articulating desk lamp flat on the bench at the top of the carving to make a strong directional light and help get the shadow effects right - do you do similar, or just carve it with the piece in a close-to-vertical position?

At least with maple you can get a clean cut surface without fuzz. Just a little extra sharpening involved... is it hard or "soft" maple?

Mel, not sure what you meant about the lady model; I grew up in VA (at least my school years) and the standing figure is the goddess of Virtue - maybe you thought it was biblical David? Anyways, this version is the latest in a series - I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who had a design where she was completely topless, there were other variations where she's more obviously a woman than this version. It made looking at our colonial history more interesting for us boys... although the nuns skipped those pages in the book.

Thanks for sharing, Mark
    Karl

Mark,
    You should definitely do the PA state coat of arms, it's pretty cool (the version with the horses and eagle). If you don't have a wardrobe in your dressing room, perhaps just on your sock drawer? Interesting that the obverse side of the PA state seal is very similar to the VA state seal, except that it's a woman vanquishing a lion.

Karl ,
    In most every carving situation I use 2 swing arm lamps . It offers the best illumination as well as casting the all important shadows . And it gives you great flexibility . There are some times using just one lamp when you go to carve a section it then falls into shadows from your hand/arm and you loose your place and perspective on what you planned to carve.
    And ultimately carvings aren't lit from just one source but while carving it is a necessity.
    For a carving like this I have it mounted on my hydraulic base to which I added an arm where I also added a sort of lazy Susan that I can lock as it rotates. So this can be moved quickly and easily to an almost infinite number of positions. This spoils me as quite a few of my carvings are of sufficient size I carve with them basically fixed for rigidity and adapt to carving from all angles without moving the piece. Push,pull,cross carving is the norm .
    This is hard maple. Soft maple can be a pleasure to carve.
    If I had the leisure time I might consider carving the Pa. Seal for my sock drawer.... But my free time isn't carving but I'm still restoring and building straight razors.

And initially I was a bit unsure looking at what reference they gave me as to the exact gender of the standing figure. Coulda' been a young David/Goliath thing,,, I didn't know . But now she will have at least one (out of two ) attributes indicating it is a woman.( Wink )
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 03-22-2017 at 9:19 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

I too follow the advice found in The Manual of Traditional Woodcarving in the use of two light sources. Generally 90 degrees apart. As I said this allow decent illumination even if one source is blocked . In the photos I alternate blocking the light ( which happens as you carve) and shadows are still apparent. And you can also shift to having one light above and one to the side as the photo with the chisel in hand shows . Two adjustable light sources and the ability to move the carving to any position makes for a
    much easier experience and visualization.
    The Woodworking Studio

Karl, I just meant that today we have model agencies and there is a lot of competion for jobs.

Just an update. The face is nearly the size of the face on the quarter. Not exact but a reference.
    The Woodworking Studio

Amazing work Mark. The detail is incredible.
    Can't wait to see it finished.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce.
    I want one..............

Thanks guys. Thanks for the compliments.
    The Woodworking Studio