Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterlox vs Formsby Tung Oil vs Watco

1. I found the Waterlox recommendation of 1 quart covering 125 square feet to be pretty accurate. I've only used it once, but I used 4 coats. Hope this helps.

As Steve said. This was just the Watco "clear". This is not a finish well suited to constant use, liquid exposure, etc. This small end table has a glass top, so the Watco finish should hold up fine. Even on high use pieces, I do often use Watco as a first application to bring out the character of the wood. Once dry, a more durable coating can be applied.

The Waterlox is expensive, especially by the quart. I'd get a gallon to save in the long run. Paint source dot net has the best price I know. I'd get just the satin if that is what you want to wind up with. Nothing wrong starting with gloss or OSF, but it will get pricey.

A couple of other observations. If you are talking about finishing end grain walnut, you will not do so this way without darkening it substantially. You can see what it will look like by wetting it with paint thinner or alcohol. I'm not sure what you need to fill with grain filler, but end grain walnut needs no filler. You will probably want to sand it very well and to at least 220 grit. It will soak up a lot of finish for the initial coat, and the next coat or so and then should start to look uniform. You won't notice any loss of visibility of the grain by using satin unless you let very thick coats build up. I doubt you will let it get that thick.

Waterlox is practically waterproof but you will have to be sure the end grain is completely sealed with finish. Flooding it on and wiping it off after a few minutes will do this after several coats, but you still are taking a chance by putting a wet glass on end grain.

Dan