Thread: First turning with new stabilizer

First turning with new stabilizer

I don't tend to post pictures of my work because I'm very much feeling my way into this vortex.

This is the first piece I've turned with my Trent Bosch articulated arm stabilizer. I like the stabilizer very much.

About 5"d x 2.5" tall. Spalted maple. Still finishing the finish.

HF2-03212016.jpg

HF1-03212016.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 03-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    RD

Very nice. Yes I absolutely love the stabilizer as well. I like the fact that if you have a question. You simply dial trents phone and HE actually answers. I got the entire setup including the hunter carbide set too. I've found the hunter to have a bit of a learning curve. But wow do they cut fast and perfect. They literally give you a finished surface. Keep up the good work. Sam

Looks good Richard. Can't wait to see where you go from here!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I just got the stabilizer but haven't used it yet as I've been trying to finish a bunch of large bowls. Can't wait to try it next week along with the hollowing tools I purchased from Trent as well.
    I am registered for his workshop on May 1-4 and really exited about getting some one on one with him for 4 days

Thanks for the comments. I have no idea what it is, mostly an experiment to see how much control the stabilizer adds. That's a pretty narrow clearance between the inner form and the bowl wall as you approach the bottom. Kind of reminds me of something left in the Fall after seeds have fallen out of their pods.

Charles, I think you will really like this tool. I did a lot of research before purchasing. I like that you still have a feeling of holding the tool by the handle but with finer control since you aren't fighting the cutting forces. The pins are great as they offer a pivot point and it's easy to make very fine adjustments.

It's hard to get a sense of the great build quality on Trent's stabilizer. It is very solid, but compact enough that it works well on my relatively short bed DVR XP. The fact that it is banjo mounted also lets me pivot the headstock slightly if I want to.
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 03-22-2017 at 3:17 PM.
    RD