Thread: Planer Advice wanted

Planer Advice wanted

Edit: I had planer on the brain. It's not a planer, it's a jointer.

I've never used a jointer and thus everything I build is built from wood that's not so flat. Hasn't been a huge problem for the kinds of things I build but I haven't built a lot of things I want to because I don't have flat enough boards. I have several hand planes but have two problems there - first I have a bench for model building, not for wood working. I don't have ways to hold wood when I plane it.

Second, I most suck with hand planes.

I was given a Craftsman jointer that needs some work - it's rusted everywhere (no pitting in the tables thankfully), has cobwebs, is really dirty and needs a new belt.

So I bought a belt and new carbide tipped knives for it. I made sure it at least runs before I bought anything.

My question is if this was your jointer would you think it was worth investing in a Shelix cutter head for it or if you were going to spend that kind of money just spend some more for a new jointer with a Shelix type cutter?

I think this jointer is good. I haven't started any work on it yet. My plan is to clean it up, remove the rust from the tables, put in the knives I bought, put on the belt and see how it works. If I'm happy with it I'll repaint it and take it off the spindly base it's on and make an enclosed cabinet base for it so it's more stable and will have storage underneath.

The model number is 113 206931.

Anyone know anything about this model and any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

- Paul
    Last edited by Paul K. Johnson; 03-21-2017 at 11:52 AM.

That sounds like an old Parks planer that was made in the USA and is actually fairly bullet proof. If it were me, I would do three things-

#1. You will need a jointer or skill with hand planes or preferably both to get wood flat that is twisted, bowed, or otherwise out of plane (pun not intended). If you are on a budget, the older Craftsman king Seely planers from the 1950's litter Craigslist at stupidly low prices. Might be a nice OWWM (old woodworking machine) paring for the planer.

A planer will not remove bows and twists and cups from wood, you need a jointer to do that.

Thus....

#2. I would register at OWWM (old Woodworking machines) and ask them questions about your planer-it is (if it is what I am thinking it is) a fairly common older machine with lots of support and lots of people who ahve done restorations. They love pictures over there, so be ready to post plenty.

#3. Find another local woodworker to get you going with hand planes-it took me awhile, but now they are indispensable and used every time I walk through the doors of my shop. Most of my vintage stanley planes were purchased for less than the price of dinner at a decent restaurant.

#4. I know I said three, but as a bonus-you might try reading the book Understanding Wood by Bruce H. Understanding exactly what you are looking at when you are going through a lumber pile looking at wood for a project is hugely helpful. YMMV.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Paul, I wouldn't put a new Shelix head in this jointer (not a planer, by the way).

I'd use it as it is, see how you like it, and a year from now you'll know a lot more about these machines and you'll have some experience with which to judge whether or not you want to invest money in this one, or get a new one.

...also, I find rebuilding tools so you know exactly what you ahve got, exactly how it goes together, and exactly how to adjust and tune it when something does go wrong quite satisfying.

I would wait on the Shelix head until you get it tuned up and running well with knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Paul, I wouldn't put a new Shelix head in this jointer (not a planer, by the way).

I'd use it as it is, see how you like it, and a year from now you'll know a lot more about these machines and you'll have some experience with which to judge whether or not you want to invest money in this one, or get a new one.
    Okay, my bad, sorry on the model #. the older Craftsman jointers can be made to work quite well for a smaller tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

Yeah, I fixed that. I know the difference. Just doing too many things at the same time at the moment.

For sure, when you're tired/busy it all mushes together, just don't go near the machines like that.....