Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to "un-warp" wood?

How to "un-warp" wood?

We had a little water crisis in the basement, and a walnut silverware chest wound up sitting on wet carpet for at least a couple days. The chest is box joint corner construction and the bottom is a panel made from three edge glued pieces that were subsequently glued to the bottom of the box frame. Most of the glue joint between the bottom panel and the chest frame let go, and the panel curled up in a big way. All the edge glued joints are fine.

Is it possible to flatten this out? I thought about a good long soak in hot water and then flat clamping between a couple of sink cutouts faced with laminate until it dries out. If the edge joints let go I can always re-glue.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

My suggestion is that the bottom soaked up a lot of water to warp; therefore, you could possibly put the wood in a low humidity, warm air environment. Perhaps an air tight bucket with a lot of reconstituted silica gel. Just maybe the wood will remember to go back to where it was. I am just guessing, so let me know if it works.

If the panel was just glued to the bottom of the box and has now mostly let go, I'd be inclined to try to remove it completely. Once you have it free you can try to flatten it, but if that fails, you could make a new panel. Somehow, a panel of solid wood glued onto a box frame just sounds like a recipe for failure, water bath or not. I wonder if the original was glued only near the center of the panel, and that's why it pulled away so easily when it got wet.

John

You might try placing the warped wood on your lawn for a couple hours on a warm humid sunny day, I would assume the bowed side down. I've heard this works, but have never tried it. If anyone else has heard this please chime in.
    Last edited by Eric Commarato; 03-22-2017 at 8:47 AM.

Rob

Don't wet the drier parts. Dry the wetter parts. It might flatten

Doug

The ice maker in the fridge broke and flooded the kitchen. The flooring cupped. A few months later they went pretty much flat again. So if you are patient... (YMMV)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Commarato View Post
    You might try placing the warped wood on you lawn for a couple hours on a warm humid sunny day, I would assume the bowed side down. I've heard this works, but have never tried it. If anyone else has heard this please chime in.
    My father did this several times when refinishing and restoring furniture. It works
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Rob

Don't wet the drier parts. Dry the wetter parts. It might flatten

Doug
    It's dry as a bone now. I popped the remaining glue joint off last night. I think I'll try wetting it and pressing it out. It cupped on the wet side originally. Maybe I'll wet the convex side, maybe both. It's not an heirloom, so if it fails miserably I'll just make a new bottom.

Force drying is a no-no. It risks splitting the timber. At best, wet the concave side until you get it to straighten if it will. If it won't, rip into its planks, dress them again and remake it. Or make a new one. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It's dry as a bone now. I popped the remaining glue joint off last night. I think I'll try wetting it and pressing it out. It cupped on the wet side originally. Maybe I'll wet the convex side, maybe both. It's not an heirloom, so if it fails miserably I'll just make a new bottom.
    It will be a good experience dealing with this problem.

FWIW I seem to get better results wetting the concave side rather than drying the convex.

Be sure to use spacer sticks when clamping to provide air flow. Clamp it up for a few days and see what you've got. I would be optimistic.

Rob,

My reasoning is that if the panel was flat before the flood, it will flatten again when the sides are equal in length, i.e., equally dry. The reason that you should not wet the dry side is that it will eventually have to dry again, when it will shrink. Why chase your tail? Like Wade, I counsel patience

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Rob,

My reasoning is that if the panel was flat before the flood, it will flatten again when the sides are equal in length, i.e., equally dry. The reason that you should not wet the dry side is that it will eventually have to dry again, when it will shrink. Why chase your tail? Like Wade, I counsel patience

Doug
    I understand where you're coming from, but both sides are now equally dry, and have been for days. Since I made my original post, my understanding of the mechanics of cupping has changed, and suggests that only a good soaking and forced flattening will work. Let me explain. Years ago I built a deck. Logic at the time dictated that I orient the deck planks such that the rings on the end grain arched up. I was told that any cupping that would occur would cup towards the concave side of the rings and the boards would always shed water. In reality, just the opposite happened. I always wondered how I screwed that up? In any case, I was watching a YouTube in the last couple days where the mechanics of cupping was explained as the growth rings trying to straighten out, therefore, the convex side of the rings would ultimately become the concave side of the cupped board. Looking at the end grain of the panels that formed the bottom of this box, that's just what happened. The three component pieces that make up the glued panel have their rings oriented the same way, and the cupping occurred on the convex side of the rings. Counter intuitive for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but both sides are now equally dry, and have been for days. ...
    Being dry on the surface, and being uniformly dry throughout the thickness of the wood, are two different things. Air drying times for wood seem to be measured in months or years, not days.

How thick is the walnut bottom? Do you have a moisture meter that can measure below the surface of the wood?
    Mark McFarlane

If you do try to press it out don't use laminate, it won't allow the water to escape so panel will stay wet for a loooooong time. Ideally you would want to press it allowing for maximum exposure to dry evenly. May be difficult to do. Alternatively you could press between two flat sheets but have some material that will absorb the extra moisture.....essentially what is done with veneers before gluing. I don't know if it will work.....but only one way to find out

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Being dry on the surface, and being uniformly dry throughout the thickness of the wood, are two different things. Air drying times for wood seem to be measured in months or years, not days.

How thick is the walnut bottom? Do you have a moisture meter that can measure below the surface of the wood?
    The bottom panel is 1/4" thick. I don't have anything I can measure moisture content with.