Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW Rockler Miter Fold Dado

NEW Rockler Miter Fold Dado

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-miter...campaign=WC685

Has ayone seen this? Looks like a neat, albeit pricey, consideration....

The inventor has had videos out for a couple of years but outside that I suppose not many will have seen one in person.

I think for the right person it would be very useful. For me I doubt it would be worth the money at half the price. You need to make a lot of drawers that you don't care about traditional or decorative joinery on to "cover the cost".
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yep. Seems like an expensive one trick pony to me and only for people batching out drawers made of plywood. The other thing I wonder is who will and how much will it be to sharpen this thing.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I thought it was a pretty cool concept when I saw it on Rockler's site a few weeks ago. It doubles as a standard dado set as well; you just don't put the third blade on the outside. If you are in the market for a new dado set and a locking miter bit, then I would take a look at this, but otherwise, it may not be the best value. I was looking for a dado set, but had the opportunity to buy a new Royce-Ayr set at half price and couldn't pass it up. All in all, it's another cool ideal I wish I would have thought of!

Blog Entries
    I've seen this type of blade for years in the plastics industry. It's an easy way to fabricate a lexan box.

Infinity Cutting Tools has a router bit set that does basically the same thing except you don't fold the stock. You get the same glue area but you don't fold the stock. It is at a substantially lower cost also.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I remember the inventor sharing the idea either on this forum or maybe one of the others a few years back. It was a unique idea and while the market may be slim, kudos to him for getting it all the way from idea to the marketplace.

I saw videos from the creator a year or so ago. I think he had a GoFundMe or something. Looks like a cool idea. I wonder how hard it is to set up. Seems you have to get pretty close to cutting all the way through where if you just pushed a little too hard down while you were feeding wood through the saw you might cut through the face. I think it would also be a problem is your board wasn't dead flat. I like the idea though.

My brother gave me some of the best advice I've ever gotten when I bought a new car for the first time and it had a lot of problems. He told me never ever buy the first model year. Let other people find the problems so the manufacturer can fix them and then buy it.

Seems to apply to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Yep. Seems like an expensive one trick pony to me and only for people batching out drawers made of plywood. The other thing I wonder is who will and how much will it be to sharpen this thing.
    I'd think Dynamic Saw could do it. They advertise that their machines "read" the blade and set themselves up.

It's clever. But I can't see myself wanting to spend $350 on it.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-21-2017 at 7:59 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm seeing boxes and not just drawers. The sharpening cost would be something to look at too....good point. And I wonder if it would pass muster with SawStop?

12. It will not work with sawstop. As I understand it the large blade is slightly oversized and will not safely clear the brake.

Oh yea, definitely not going to be compatible with any SawStop saw.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
    I saw videos from the creator a year or so ago. I think he had a GoFundMe or something. Looks like a cool idea. I wonder how hard it is to set up. Seems you have to get pretty close to cutting all the way through where if you just pushed a little too hard down while you were feeding wood through the saw you might cut through the face. I think it would also be a problem is your board wasn't dead flat. I like the idea though.

My brother gave me some of the best advice I've ever gotten when I bought a new car for the first time and it had a lot of problems. He told me never ever buy the first model year. Let other people find the problems so the manufacturer can fix them and then buy it.

Seems to apply to everything.
    I agree with Paul on the setup difficulty, and the need for exact thickness material. I make a lot of boxes, but I'm not investing in this, at least not until others have paid the high price and done some reviews on it. For now, I'll be sticking with the more traditional methods.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by chase standifer View Post
    It will not work with sawstop. As I understand it the large blade is slightly oversized and will not safely clear the brake.
    Good observation. I had wandered why it was listed as not compatible with Sawstop or any other "Flesh-detection technology". I was curious if it could be run in bypass mode if you just really wanted to use the blade and give up the protection, but if the brake is in the way, that would be an issue. I know the brake distance is adjustable, but thinking it through, if the one blade is slightly taller, I could see the brake twisting upon impact from the uneven cutting heights, or not causing a full stop if it is unable to engage all of the blades within the dado set. I don't have this blade set and don't plan to buy it, but I like to think through the possibilities.