Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NEW Rockler Miter Fold Dado

I read, or saw on the internet is not exactly confirmation in my book. I'm guessing that most solid woods will not be able to be folded. If the skin breaks and you have to manipulate five pieces at once the value is lost. The inventor/manuf. videos don't push this use either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I read, or saw on the internet is not exactly confirmation in my book. I'm guessing that most solid woods will not be able to be folded. If the skin breaks and you have to manipulate five pieces at once the value is lost. The inventor/manuf. videos don't push this use either.
    Not sure I follow your reasoning/comments. If you v-cut a piece of hardwood deep enough then there is no difference between that and the veneer on top of ply as far as folding is concerned. I think the difficulty has more to do with cutting with the grain or across. You can also cut all the way through, but you don't have 5 pieces to manipulate, because you would have taped on the opposite side first, so the tape serves as the hinge if you've been very precise.
    The inventor also has a video out called "miter fold box" in which he inlays hardwood to coincide with the folds and that is what ultimately gets bent.
    As far as potential uses for these type of boxes: Art panels, also sometimes called cradled panels. Signage panels. Pedestals, display stands. Torsion boxes for fixtures. These are all things I wish to make in a fast, efficient, repeatable way, but I have yet to see someone who has this blade and has done a batch at once.