Thread: Replacing fluorescent lights with LED's

Replacing fluorescent lights with LED's

I have a couple of 4' T8 fluorescent lights out, 2 out of 20 lights. Is it valid to replace lights 1 at a time or a pair at a time with LED's? These are dual fixtures.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    .... Is it valid to replace lights 1 at a time or a pair at a time with LED's?...
    It is entirely legal in Texas. Not too sure about California ... Have you gotten CARB approval?

2 at a time is what I did.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-21-2017 at 2:47 PM. Reason: (CARB couldn't catch me!!)

Brian, as the ballast will probably feed a pair of lamps, you'll have to replace them as a pair.

Where I live, you cannot convert to LED's that do not use a ballast, it's prohibited by code, obviously you should investigate that with The Authority having Jurisdiction in your location....Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Brian, as the ballast will probably feed a pair of lamps, you'll have to replace them as a pair.

Where I live, you cannot convert to LED's that do not use a ballast, it's prohibited by code, obviously you should investigate that with The Authority having Jurisdiction in your location....Regards, Rod.
    Do you know why that is, Rod? Is it that the fixture was certified with a ballast?

LEDs certainly do not need a ballast.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Do you know why that is, Rod? Is it that the fixture was certified with a ballast?

Mike
    Canada has many unique rules to say the least, but it does appear a bit illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    You're correct Mike, it's the fact that the fixture was certified with a ballast, which provided current limiting and overload functions. To maintain the certification you need the ballast, although it's not required for the LED lamp if it's self contained.

The larger LED flood lamps I've used have 3 separate DC power supplies in them, feeding what looks like a single LED block.......Rod.

You can buy LED replacement tubes the plug in to the socket and do not need a ballast change. You can install a LED compatible ballast and buy a cheaper bulb or buy more expensive bulbs the do not require a ballast change.

Years ago I bought 8 fixtures for my shop but since they use the cheapest, piece of junk ballast, I had to replace ALL of them within a year with commercial ballast with no issues for the last 8 years. I have been looking at replacing these lights now with LED's and would opt to go with the cheaper bulb and ballast replacement.

Check the bulb packages to see if they are plug-and-play (used with existing ballast) or ones that need LED compatible ballast. And yes - I would change them two at a time.

All of the LED replacement "tubes" I've purchased utilize the existing ballasts in the fixtures. It was simpler that way...although the LED "tubes" that work that way are slightly more costly. And I also will suggest you replace in pairs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your experience is like mine, replace both and keep the still-good one as a spare. You'll need it soon enough. It might just be my flawed perception but I've replaced Fluorescent T-8 tubes with ballast using LED tubes. The area under the LED tubes seem brighter. I've also replaced the tubes in one (so far) shop light that does not have a separate ballast with 120 volt LED tubes. I'm liking that idea - it would be pretty easy to make custom 4' LED fixtures if one were so inclined.

I've found that for whatever reason, recent T-8 tubes don't seem to last very well compared to old T-12s. We do sometimes cycle those lights frequently which may enter into it.

I'm not a fan of the LED tubes that continue to use the existing ballast--it's another point of failure, and it's already been in there a while.

I've seen fluorescent ballasts catch fire when they failed. Power on, fire. Power off, no fire.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I'm not a fan of the LED tubes that continue to use the existing ballast--it's another point of failure, and it's already been in there a while.

I've seen fluorescent ballasts catch fire when they failed. Power on, fire. Power off, no fire.
    I image they designed LED tubes to run in Ballast equipped lights so the replacement process is the same as with another fluorescent tube. I agree though, if it ain't there it can't screw up. Plus I wonder if mediocre quality ballasts affect the output of LED tubes?

There's some efficiency loss by keeping the ballast too. Never really looked into how much but even the electronic ballasts warm up some so there's something being lost. That said, we put some in our master closet and like them. Eventually I plan do do my garage with LED and I'll do the ballast-free ones there.

I have been gutting the ballast and replacing with LEDs from Amazon.