Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circuit breaker humming?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    I was at the local Ace today, so I grabbed a breaker - $9 or so (they had cheaper, but those unpackaged electrical components always seem a bit sketchy to me). I might try it just to see.
    Most brand name circuit breakers are generally sold without packaging unless they are expensive AFCI or GFCI breakers. You likely paid more for a breaker repackaged by a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Hopefully he made certain that he had 12 gauge before he made the change. Some electricians use 12 gauge for everything because it is easier than having two sizes. I am not sure why they don't then use 20a breakers.
    Some devices (bath room fans as an example) are required to be on a 15 amp circuit by manufacturer. damhik!

Thanks all for the replies. I feel a bit better that I'm not the only one who can't figure this out. Although, the replies sure sounded a lot smarter than me.

I fiddled around with the things today, and found that I still got the hum with only one of the 3 amp lights going (One of the lights is 4 bulbs/2 amps, the other two are, each, 6 bulbs/3 amps) The hum was softer, though. It steadily gets louder as I turn on the other fixtures.

Rod, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this is the fixture. I can't find any details about the ballast.

John, I don't have any friends with oscilloscopes, but Harbor Freight has ammeters for around $15. I have read threads in which folks claim good experiences with their multimeters, so perhaps this can give me some idea what the actual current draw is on these fixtures.

For now, since there doesn't seem to be any apparent problem when I run the things on a 20a circuit (which is in the same subpanel box as all the 15a ones that buzz) I guess I'll just leave set up that way. It's a minor PITA since I have to move the fixtures to a DIFFERENT 20a receptacle to run my shop machines, but as soon as the weather stabilizes - looks like about another week - I will be able to get my seedlings outside and won't need so many lights. I've got several trays of lettuces, broccoli, cabbages all ready to move out as soon as I can get the ground turned over and the plastic tunnel set up.

Thanks again folks. I'll post when I check the actual current when I get that ammeter this weekend.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Platt; 03-22-2017 at 9:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Some devices (bath room fans as an example) are required to be on a 15 amp circuit by manufacturer. damhik!

That is interesting information Bruce. Did they say why? I hope they don't expect the breaker to protect the fan.