Thread: Do i need fillers when gluing with epoxy

Do i need fillers when gluing with epoxy

Hi guys.

I'm gluing up a bed this weekend or soon after and I need long open times. There are a lot of pieces. I think epoxy is the best bet and I have some 105 and 206 from west systems.

Their website says I need to use and additive or filler when using the stuff as an adhesive. I don't need to fill joints they all fit right. Is there a need for the filler/additive? Or can I just use it like I would titebond?

First time I'm using it and want to get it right!

Thanks.

Without any additives, this epoxy mixes up to the consistency of pancake syrup. If your joints fit well, the epoxy will stay where you put it. Filler might be useful if your joints are gappy. With it, you can make stuff that is more like toothpaste. It will not flow out of gappy joints like epoxy without the filler.

I worried about using it before my first time, too. I found, as Jamie said, that if the joints fit well, no filler is required. I did find that it is a good idea to paint the mating surfaces with a thin layer of epoxy and let it soak for a minute or so. Then put on a little additional epoxy and put it together. The first epoxy will soak into the wood.

I situations where you might need a little filler, wet out the surfaces first and while that's soaking in, stir in the filler a little at a time. remember, it's like adding salt to the stew. You can't take it out after you've put it in.

Save the dust from your sanders to use as a filler--saw dust is too coarse--and stir in a little at a time as needed.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-22-2017 at 7:31 AM.

Definitely use no filler or the minimum required to get the viscosity you need for it to hold up. As Dave said, basically prime your joint first and then put on a full coat. Excess filler stops the glue wetting out the joint. Cheers

thanks guys! i think i might pick up some 404 filler and keep in on hand just in case and use it very very sparingly if needed.

much appreciated.

Brian

I also use wood flour.

I just wanted to say thank you and it went very well. Using the epoxy was very similar to using regular wood glue and i had a TON of open time which was great. left it sit in clamps overnight and until the following afternoon, pulled them off and everything is rock solid!

thanks again for the tips.

I ended up wetting the all the jointing surfaces with epoxy, waiting about 10-15 min or so and then reapplying epoxy with a little 404 filler mixed to all the mortises.

Brian