Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted on Minimax MM16

Opinions wanted on Minimax MM16

HI folks.
    In my intro thread I showed my wimpy little bandsaw. One guy recommended that I replace it. At first my reaction was that I didn't think I needed one much anyway, but then I got a lead on an older Minimax MM16 and started looking into it. Seems like that might be a darn useful machine after all maybe.
    This one is a little older with the 12-1/2 resaw capacity and 3.6hp motor. I think that would suit my needs, and then some, for a very long time. I could use some advice here though as I don't have much experience with bandsaws nor this brand other than what I've found on the interwebs tonight. Looks like I'm looking at around $1200 price range, which seems pretty good, but I'm in no burning rush either so...
    Thanks for any opinions.

Out of your machines the bandsaw is probably the weakest and 3 wheelers are notoriously a PITA and are prone to breaking blades, so it makes sense to replace the weakest link if YOU feel the need.

That MM16 is a pre-2004 model and while not as stout as the newer models it is still a fine saw and some of the earliest models had lower HP motors than the 3.6 which is very good for a 12.5" resaw height. $1200 is not a screaming deal but if the saw is complete and runs well it isn't a bad deal either. While used Italian saws aren't crazy rare they aren't usually in constant supply in most areas so sometimes the extra $100 or so is worth jumping.

The one pattern problem to be aware of outside of the routine "does everything work" some of those saws came with AEG switches that apparently switched to a Chinese supplier at some point and those switches can be troublesome. Some have run for many years fine and some have seen very short lifespans. If the switch is faulty the switch/solenoid is a standard part and still has availability (without the previous problems) and will run you about $100 for parts if you feel comfortable replacing it. Note the $100 is not from Minimax but from electrical control suppliers. IIRC the AEG switch had a rectangular red and black start/stop buttons.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I tend to look at machines also in terms of their value as actual producers in the shop, IMHO this saw would be money well spent. Good luck and keep us posted...

I own the MM16 with ~12" resaw and the 3.6hp motor. It's a great saw. MiniMax is well known as a quality band saw provider and there are many folks here at SMC who own various sizes and vintages of the MM band saws. Once you use this type of machine, you'll truly understand how a heavy, stiff spine benefits in so many ways...it's a totally better experience than the typical 14" north American design band saws in the mass market. (Nothing wrong with them for sure...but the heavier machine is noticeably better to work with)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ditto what Jim said. I bought mine new 6/2004 and it has been bullet proof. Some people did experience problems with the power switch. Mine has been trouble free.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Likewise. Mine (MM16) was purchased in ~ 2012 after much research; it replaced a very good Rikon.

I wanted a good resaw BS, and that meant a very stiff spine. Triple beam does that.

The switch has gone out. the capacitor is now going out.

The saw itself sits low for my height, so I built a rolling platform for it.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Vinito,

I have MM20, not the MM16, but with that said, I really love it. We have used it to re-saw 12" +/- walnut, cherry, and oak, as well as cut large Cedar corbels. Nothing we have thrown at the machine has been a problem.

I was apprehensive about purchasing the machine without being able to test drive but I'm glad I bought it. I'm not too far away from you in Lawrence, If you would like come see it I'd be happy to have you come by our shop. From what I was told the 16, 20, and 24 are about the same except for the obvious size difference.

Vinito,
    I had the same specification MM16 (12-inch resaw capacity and 3.6 HP motor) for about 4 years and it was bullet-proof. I bought mine used, and it was heavily used in a commercial application, with missing minor pieces (dust chute, etc.), but cleaned up nicely and worked perfectly. I purchased the missing pieces from Minimax, and they were fine to deal with. I put it on Zambus casters, which worked nicely and had a Lenox TriMaster blade on it. It also had the AEG switch which looked original, and never gave me a problem. I sold the MM16 last year for $1,200.00. I moved up to a S600p (MM24) bandsaw and it is a real pleasure to use. I hope this helps.
    Mike

I bought a new MM16 in 04 and it cost 2500. Think you are onto a great deal if the saw is in good shape. The salesman told me it would last 30 years running 16 hours a day, 5 days a week. Mine has probably less than a weeks use by that standard.

I pulled the trigger and put a deposit on it today for him to hold it for me. I may be able to get it this weekend but since things can happen I made sure it was OK with him to hold it for a week or so. It's five hours of driving all together so the hardest part might be the travel.

I've seen pictures and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. While not pristine, from what I can tell it's not been used much at all. There's sawdust on it so I can't see fine details on the condition. It's coming with the moving dolly thing and user manual, for what that's worth. That might at least speak to something about the owners' temperaments maybe, I dunno. This guy is at least the second owner, but it sounds like he's had it a few years and used it just a little, so it's not just a machinery flip anyway.

I'm not sure, but it looks like some parts might have some surface rust. I've dealt with so much of that over the past few decades that I'm not disappointed whatsoever with some rust. Usually that just encourages a guy to disassemble a bit for some cleaning and deep clean the deep grime unrelated to the rust that you might have left there unseen otherwise, so usually it's more silky afterwards. However, there's a chance what I saw wasn't rust anyway and it could be whistle clean. I'll know more when I get it home.

I've never bought a machine without an in-person assessment before. I guess I still haven't really, but I feel pretty good about this one. From what you guys have said, I probably won't get hurt at all and it's much more likely I'll really like the machine.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post some pictures and review after I've moved it home.

Van, are ya proud of me?? hehe.
    Last edited by Vinito Caleb; 03-23-2017 at 7:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinito Caleb View Post
    I pulled the trigger

Van, are ya proud of me?? hehe.

I think it is a good choice and happy you found it.

I will be most proud if on the drive back home with your new bandsaw you are already thinking about the next one....
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I will be most proud if on the drive back home with your new bandsaw you are already thinking about the next one....
    Hehe. Heck, I'm already wishing it was a 20" just because of the blade stress thing. I'll at least sell off the little 3-wheeler first. So far I have 2 table saws, 2 planers, 2 band saws... and I haven't even made anything yet !! (this round anyway).
    I figger there's only enough room on this forum for one band saw addict anyways.

First I needed to solve my broken truck issue, so here's a pic of that solution:

Did I overkill that problem??

Then I was able to drive to go get the band saw. I think I'll disassemble a few things to clean up and make it move smoother, but it's in good shape:

Sitting snuggly in my developing shop space.
    Hey, pretty soon I might have time to make sumthin' !

Congrats! Looks just like mine. Check the resaw capacity, mine's got 14".
    What did you give for it?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I should probably measure & verify, but this one is of the vintage that's rated at 12-1/2" resaw capacity with 3.6hp motor.
    Paid $1200 which I don't feel bad about. Just a touch of TLC and it should be smooth as silk. Blades are another story I guess. I'm very surprised how expensive good wood blades are. I weld blades at work for our steel band saws - too bad we don't have spools of wood cutting blade stock to go with the multitudes of metal blade stuff on the shelf. Oh well.