Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions wanted on Minimax MM16

That's $1200 well spent. I wouldn't sell mine for that. I have a 1" Lennox carbide Tri-Master that I bought in 2004. Still cuts like butter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congrats! I have the 4.8 HP version of that. You got a good buy IMO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

(10 characters)
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That's the same unit I have and you'll enjoy it. Hint...a piece of 3/4" plywood under the base will keep the wheels off the ground and the unit level. You should be able to squeeze a 4" DC hose over the 100mm port, too...worked for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well I have an MM16, I purchased in 2004 and it has had light duty, maybe even very light duty. Well I was cutting a rocking chair rocker out and it just quit. I tested my switch, tested my capacitors, then pulled the motor and took to a local electrical shop. They said the motor was bad and it would cost $878 to repair. This is a long way from 30 years heavy use. BTW I have used this electrical shop many times and consider them very good. All that said, I am thinking of replacing this motor with a 3 phase motor. I have 3 phase in my shop now, but didn't have when I bought the saw
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Is that a Walker Turner drill press hiding just out of the photo? They are great. I am almost ready to get my second hand MM 16 running. Just needs cleaning and a switch cover plate.

Jim, I have the same mm16 saw. Very soon I'll finally make the leap to a carbide blade for resawing. Any hints on blade choice?

Quote Originally Posted by mark downing View Post
    Jim, I have the same mm16 saw. Very soon I'll finally make the leap to a carbide blade for resawing. Any hints on blade choice?
    Mark, you're tagging on to a 3 year old post. Might be better to start anew!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Mark, you're tagging on to a 3 year old post. Might be better to start anew!
    Hey Mark, I had to replace my motor, but I don't think that was a usual thing. I love my band saw and can cut very small veneer with it. The widest I have cut is about 13 inches, but I can cut a smooth piece at 1/16 inch thick. I use Highland Hardware bandsaw blades. Only ones I have used since I bought the saw. I have 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 largest i have used. i bought a 1 inch blade, but have never put it on.
    thanks for asking
    Jim
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al