Thread: Can't get Unisaw table top on.

Can't get Unisaw table top on.

Right now I'm at maximum level of frustration after spending two days trying to get the top on. Nothing I do allows me to slide the top into position to line up those incredibly stupid cap screws that four-corner the top to the base. There are so many protuberances in the castings that the top hangs up in whatever direction I try to move it. If I could just get one bolt on place, the others would naturally pivot into position. But alas, no, I can't get even one bolt in.

The other difficulty is that I'm working up-side-down since the bolts go from bottom-up and I can't see what I'm doing.

Saw was new in 1994.

Is there some trick to lining up the the top with base bolt holes? How to slide it into position without top hanging up on all those casting irregularities and parts sticking up?

The only trick I know of is to not slide it. Pick it up and put it in place. All the table saw tops (Unisaw included) I've put on, pretty easily find their home.

It's a pretty easy process I've found. First of course make sure it's going on the correct way - the blade opening hole is oriented toward the back of the saw. Pick it up (or slide if you have to, but I'd rather not be smashing and bumping over the castings) and place the blade opening over the arbor. Once it's sitting by itself, peek under and look for the hole openings, slide or bump the table accordingly. You shouldn't be off by much at this step.

If you really are struggling that much after trying again, measure the bolt locations on the top and on the cabinet to verify they are the same.

You need to lower it into place.
    I have a Delta shaper and it's pretty much the same thing. I lowered mine onto the cabinet with an overhead chain fall I have in the garage. Those bolts are a "pita" though. You can barely get your arm in the cabinet and reaching blindly, diagonally across, is tough.
    Don't assume that the other bolt holes will line up if you get one in and pivot the top. They'll be really close, but the cabinet can twist a little bit also.
    Slow down, don't get frustrated too much, and figure out a way to support that top while lowering it onto the base. Maybe a few friends, pizza, and some beers, would have that top on in no time flat.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-22-2017 at 7:34 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Take 2 boards and lay them on each side of the saw. Set the top on the boards. this will allow you to slide the top around without getting caught. Once you get the top where you want it lift the edge of the top and remove the boards one at a time.

Alternately, having a second person help you set the top can be extremely helpful. Once you get it set make sure that it is lined up properly with the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Take 2 boards and lay them on each side of the saw. Set the top on the boards. this will allow you to slide the top around without getting caught. Once you get the top where you want it lift the edge of the top and remove the boards one at a time.
    What Cary said. And when the top is setting on those two boards use an awl to assist in the alignment.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

My suggestion would be to use an alignment stud. I made my own when I was working as a mechanic eons ago. Find out what the thread pitch and diameter of the bolt and go buy a bolt that size. Then cut off the head with a hacksaw. Install on your table top and it helps you to align the top. Use the two board method described earlier and you shouldn't have much problems.

I would throw the bolts away and use studs if you are having problems. Use some locktite on the studs before installing. Then of course you will have the problem of installing washers and nuts upside down. make one stud at least 1/2" longer then the others to make installation even easier.
    I like to use a Phillips screwdriver to line things up. Or the old trick of a drinking straw over or inside the bolt location so you can see to line things up. McDonalds seems to have the strongest ones I know of.
    Bill D.

Put a moving pad on the floor. Lay the top on it upside down, Then turn the cabinet upside down and place it on the top, lining up the bolt positions as you place it. Then install the bolts and spacers. Tighten the bolts temporarily. Now get help to roll the saw on it's side and then upright. Loosen the bolts and align the miter slot to the blade. Then re-tighten the bolts. It worked for me, but the motor was not installed until later.

Charley

I do it upside down and then roll the saw over.