Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makita Trim Router

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest

Makita Trim Router

I need to replace my trusty Bosch Colt and have my eyes on a Makita trim router. I use the trimmer mainly to cut hinge mortises, trim edgebanding and for light duty profiling and chamfering, no heavy loads.
    The 3709 has a clear see through base, single speed (30,000 RPM ), template guide bearing, edge guide and features a 4 Amp motor.
    The RT0701C has a non see through base, variable speed, edge guide (no template guide bearing, a 6.5 Amp motor and costs $30 cdn. more than the 3709.
    Which one would be the better tool?

Look at the Grizzly trim router package for around $74. It's the same as the RT0701C, right down to the smallest detail. It includes the fixed base, a plunge base with dust pickup, and an edge guide for half the price of the RT0701CX7 kit from Makita. Unless you just gotta have blue, you can get the same thing for half price from Grizzly. I bought the Grizzly package on sale for $59 and it's a very nice (Makita) little router. I bought a couple of Makita accessories for it and they fit perfectly. I later learned that some of those same accessories are sold by ShopFox for less than half what I spent for the Makita.

John

I'd stick with Bosch.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks John, looks like that little Grizz combines the best features of both of the Makitas.
    The only drawback is it will cost me $130.82 cdn. plus $38.69 UPS and $6.54 taxes (they're taking it from the living). Still not a bad deal IMO considering the goodies that are included.

Yeah Andy I would, but I hate the depth adjustment and its starting to creep on my Colt, that is a big NO NO. I will still keep it around for work where depth accuracy down to 1 or 2/000 isn't crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Which one would be the better tool?
    The Dewalt 611. But seriously, the Ma... no the Dewalt 611.

For many years the Colt was the go-to compact router (really a step above a true trim router in size and power) but just lacked a plunge base to make it a complete tool. Then Dewalt and shortly after Makita come out with their compact routers with plunge bases. I wanted to prefer the Makita and bought it, but the 611 continued to grow in favor and I decided to give in and buy one. I was sold and if you poll the various forums I think you will find the 611 has now become the compact router of choice. Don't get me wrong the Makita and Bosch (now with plunge base available) are great tools but Dewalt just thought the design, ergonomics and feature set out better and it it wasn't for my Festool 1010 it would likely be my most used router because with a plunge base a compact router with 1.25hp just does so many things I traditionally would have grabbed one of my mid-sized routers for.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Best up/down trimmer adjuster: R2401 Ridgid, if that is critical.

I have owned the Colt since they first came out. However I agree that the DeWalt guys improved it with the clear base and the LED light. To me, with a compact router like this, integrated lighting and enhanced visibility is a big plus. I'm not seeing where the Makita compact router has these features, at least with regard to the light.

The question I have is what happened to the updated Bosch Colt Model GDK125CEK that was announced in November 2015? Press releases came out that touted the (now integrated) lighting and a new and improved depth adjustment system and then everything went quiet.

Get the DeWalt 611. I have three of them and sold my Bosch Colt.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post

The question I have is what happened to the updated Bosch Colt Model GDK125CEK that was announced in November 2015? Press releases came out that touted the (now integrated) lighting and a new and improved depth adjustment system and then everything went quiet.
    I think it is GFK vs GDK and that is a 64,000 dollar question. They seemed to be directly incorporating what makes the Dewalt stand out and fixing the depth adjust which is the current Colt's Achilles heel. I remember thinking if they come out with a plunge base I will have to pick one up now a year and a half later and just vaporware.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have a Makita RT0701C and consider it ... meh.. its okay. The base is a bit small, the lock that holds the bit depth is really primitive but it works. Lots of power, but overall, just a trim router

I have a 1/4" Round over bit in it and probably will have until the bit is dull ..

My other Trim Router is the Festool.. Not a fair comparison, I assume DeWalt or Bosch did a better job than the makita..

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Look at the Grizzly trim router package for around $74. It's the same as the RT0701C, right down to the smallest detail. It includes the fixed base, a plunge base with dust pickup, and an edge guide for half the price of the RT0701CX7 kit from Makita. Unless you just gotta have blue, you can get the same thing for half price from Grizzly. I bought the Grizzly package on sale for $59 and it's a very nice (Makita) little router. I bought a couple of Makita accessories for it and they fit perfectly. I later learned that some of those same accessories are sold by ShopFox for less than half what I spent for the Makita.

John
    I have a Bosch Colt and was considering a plunge base for it. The cheapest I've seen the plunge base is $74.99 at Amazon. Then along comes Grizzly with a motor and both bases for nearly the same $$. Now I'm hearing the quality is quite good on the Grizzly. Sigh.

Anyone have a link or model number for the Grizzly trim router package?
    I did a search on Grizzly.com and did not come up.

I have the DeWalt DWP611K I don't use it a bunch, but it works well and seems well made.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-23-2017 at 7:28 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

You should at least read the reviews first.
    https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7791...ews/B000E327J0
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Anyone have a link or model number for the Grizzly trim router package?
    I did a search on Grizzly.com and did not come up.

I have the DeWalt DWP611K I don't use it a bunch, but it works well and seems well made.
    I think this is the one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lami...ge-Base/T27139

I would note the Grizzly and Bosch are 1hp and the Makita and Dewalt are 1.25hp and IME the extra 1/4hp is useful if you plan to use it as a compact router, as simply a trimmer it makes no difference.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-23-2017 at 8:15 PM.