Thread: Hand saw info, if you please?

Hand saw info, if you please?

In the midst of cleaning the shop a bit, I took down the saws out of the overhead till.....wiped down three D-23s, a couple No.7s a D-8 and this strange saw...
    DSCF0005.JPG
    I remember "picking" this last year. Just haven't found what model no. it might be..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    That is a "7" stamp, but it isn't a Disston one..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Nice, compfy handle, been a bit worn though....
    DSCF0003.JPG
    LARGE Medallion almost flush with the wood. AAA from Indy, IN.....seems to be an Atkins saw.....but which one? What little I can see of the etch, is a few banners.....barely readable, if at all.

As for the other saws today?
    DSCF0006.JPG
    An 8ppi D-8 Almost as old as this next saw...
    DSCF0008.JPG
    A 10 ppi No. 7, might be a D-7? and for the old timer..
    DSCF0010.JPG
    This one IS a No.7, 7ppi, with nib. Finally, a saw older than I am...

So, any ideas on that Atkins skewback saw? Seems to be filed as a crosscut, with plenty of set.

Maybe a catalog picture of this Atkins saw?

The handle looks almost rosewood. If it weren't for the nut arrangement I would have said atkins 400. I don't think they made any other tropical HW uncarved saw though.

Actually, Atkins made a pair of saws like that. The Model 400 was the skew back, which yours likely is, and the 401, which had a straight back. I agree, it does look tropical, and if so, it's likely an Atkins 400

Thank you! i think it might be a user....

Have you seen them with that nut pattern though? All the 400/401s I have seen and in all the catalogs I have saved from online (I love me some Atkins), they have them sort of cascading with the medallion second from the bottom. Also, nickel plated nuts, but I supposed they could be worn or replaced. Atkins did sell the handles separately, but I don't know if they came drilled, so it is possible that they could have put on a custom to a 51,52,66 or one of the others with that pattern. It is also possible, that someone who worked there put a 400/401 grade handle on a personal saw. I think it is a unique one for sure.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 03-22-2017 at 4:28 PM.

The nut patterns look consistent to me. Here is one on Bode's site which is much never than that saw, but it has the medallion in the middle like his: http://www.jimbodetools.com/ATKINS-N...ox-p29498.html

Yes. Except the extra nut on the bottom left of his. That is not on any 400 I have seen.

This is how itcame home, that day...
    saw handle.jpg
    Been in a damp garage for awhile....
    rust hunt october.jpg
    Cleaned it up a bit.....
    atkins saw.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg
    Handle was a bit worn....saw does cut fairly well, too
    .saw cut.jpg
    Checked with a square...
    rechecked.jpg
    Might be a keeper?

BTW: As I can barely make out the etch, any idea what one should look like? All I can make out is a couple things that look like "banners".....

Ahh. Not rosewood, but a nice color effect. Not an oddball 400 after all. It looks like one of the Atkins produced for hardware stores. Almost all of the lines had some kind of ornate carving except the 400/401 and a few special tooth pattern hand saw, but I have seen a few that didn't and were hardware store lines, so the etch could be any variation. Look up atkins catalogs and you might get something close which may help identify. It is still likely a silver steel line and a quite good saw. Seems to be modeled after a 51,52 series.

Blog Entries
    I rework my old saws. If I'm in the mood for a new pretty handle, I will make it and use. I keep the old handles so that If I decide to sell the saw, I haven't lost any value. By the time I re-tooth and sharpen the saw, it will cut like a new one. I have a 5 1/2(?) tpi saw, but I have 7, 8, and 10 tpi saws. I am partial to the 10 tpi saws.

I never change the tooth count on a saw. I have crosscut and rip saws.

FYI, the 51 in their 1931 farm catalog has no carving and matches the nut pattern exactly. Linked here

I was going to say No.51, but Noah beat me to it. Durn it Noah!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford