Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too many passwords anyone use "Lastpass" to manage them?

Quote Originally Posted by John Donofrio View Post
    Been using KeePass for many years now. Open source and works on Windows, Linux and Android. Not sure about iOS since I'm not in that system.
    I wonder how it works on non-Windows machines - what I've read is that it requires .net to be installed. Maybe I'm reading old/obsolete information or maybe mono will substitute or something. KeePass does get excellent reviews.

I've been using LastPass for years, I pay the $5-10/year for their paid membership so it works on all my devices. It's well worth the cost.

It's putting the drunkard in charge of the brewery to store passwords electronically. A book in my own simple code covers the very few I need. Cheers

I've used LastPass for about five years now. Love that it works across devices, anywhere. Last count I had about 300 sites saved, each different. It's good that aside from the master password the password you send to any given site is useful only on that site. A paper system quickly becomes unmanageable if you travel a lot and get required to change passwords while on the road or visit new sites while away from your list. Plus if you lose your list you're toast. Life is full of compromises, computer security is an area where there is not yet a great answer. Great opportunity for someone with a better idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wonder how it works on non-Windows machines - what I've read is that it requires .net to be installed. Maybe I'm reading old/obsolete information or maybe mono will substitute or something. KeePass does get excellent reviews.
    I use it on the three mentioned (Windows 10, Linux - LinuxMint specifically which is a Debian -> Ubuntu fork, and Android) and it works well on all three. Peruse this page for more if interested: http://keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono

I use it on OSX and Chrome OS. On the iphone its an app you download. On my mac and chromebook its an extension inside the browser you use, in my case chrome. Theres also a desktop app on OSX but I rarely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Donofrio View Post
    I use it on the three mentioned (Windows 10, Linux - LinuxMint specifically which is a Debian -> Ubuntu fork, and Android) and it works well on all three. Peruse this page for more if interested: http://keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono

This thread is so timely. Aparently the main reason for Internet breaches is password re-use.

I just finished listening to this ReplyAll podcast yesterday that scared me.

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/91-the-russian-passenger/

Have you been pwned?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-24-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    This thread is so timely. Aparently the main reason for Internet breaches is password re-use.

I just finished listening to this ReplyAll podcast yesterday that scared me.

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/91-the-russian-passenger/

Have you been pwned?
    Yes I have. Some very interesting reading there that should scare just about anyone. Very serious stuff, that of which I have recently had to deal with.

9. Started an on-line research business in 1998; created a network in two separate locations with a total of 140 users and 6 net work servers. Was an early adopter of LastPass and installed it for each user. Pretty near idiot proof (although I did have a couple of idiots try their best to cause havoc, the "failsafe" steps available saved the day).

Features I like:
    1. Everything is (very strongly) encrypted on the individual user machine and backed up on-line ONLY in already encrypted form.
    2. In a properly backed-up system, a deleted or damaged password file can be retrieved and restored (in encrypted form) either from the on-line set or from the back-up system. That protects from even malicious attempts to make a mess by a disgruntled employee, as well as the carelessness of inept idiots.
    3. The password generator - by default - created very strong passwords, unique to each website. It also tracks site specific user names. It takes a special effort by the user to use a weak password.
    4. The speed with which it automatically fills in user name and password in log in screens saves a lot of user time and bother.

There are a few other features of interest to network admins, but not relevant here.

On the whole, I've been very happy with the system. Proud to say my network has been hacker free from 1998 to date (except for one idiot clicking on a phishing e-mail link; corrupted one machine, easily fixed in about an hour with a purge and restore from back-up; lost about 20 minutes of work).

I have used Roboform for years and really like it.

Jack

I have used RoboForm for years. It's supposed to be the top rated password manager

It will store logins that I choose, it will create logins to my specifications, it will store bookmarks, and it stores personal data to autofill online forms. The basic RoboForm app is free, but if you opt for the low cost RoboForm Everywhere version, you can go to the RoboForm website from any machine, phone, or tablet and log in to securely access all of your stuff.

https://www.roboform.com/
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty