Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Zero Clearance insert help with DC

Will Zero Clearance insert help with DC

Just got my Grizzly G1023rlwx table saw set up this week and I've begun putting some stock through it - mostly walnut for a cutting board I'm making. So far I'm pleased with it. I have a 4" hose at the DC port, and it's connected to my shop vac. The biggest problem so far is dust spraying back on me from the blade.

I'm still using the factory insert. Will a zero clearance insert help with DC?

nope.

A zero clearance plate is so there's more support for the material, and less tear out, or chipping in materials like melamine.

IMHO, unless you have over the blade dust collection you will likely have poorer dust collection since none of the dust will be sucked downward.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

It actually makes dust spray back worse if you don't have over the table dust collection.

You may also be suffering from adapting your 2-1/2" shop vac hose to a 4" dust port. May not be moving enough air.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you have an air inlet into the base of your saw that is the same size as the air outlet. If you don't have air going into the saw base, you won't be sucking any air and chips out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Even with a giant dust collector hooked up at the bottom collection point, unless you have dust collection on top of the blade, you are going to continue having the problem.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Even with a giant dust collector hooked up at the bottom collection point, unless you have dust collection on top of the blade, you are going to continue having the problem.
    What he said.

I actually got fed up with the constant spray of sawdust in my face and did a lot of research into over the blade dust collection. The SawStop dust guard/collector seemed to get get consistently top reviews. I had a riving knife made to allow me to use it on my Powermatic PM1000. I use a hose from my shop-vac that drops from the ceiling so I never have to worry about it getting in the way of larger sheet goods. I use the same hose for dust collection on my router fence, while the big 4" to my actual dust collector stays underneath the table where the bulk of the dust is collected. I can EASILY raise the cover if I want to actually see the blade when making a cut, but I find I never really need to.

It is night and day better, fantastic dust collection and VERY easy to use.

20170323_085423.jpg20170323_085454.jpg20170311_095046.jpg

Even if you go with topside collection, wear a respirator or dust mask.
    Have good shop ventilation +/- filtration.

Be aware that some species of wood like walnut and cedar can be especially irritating to the lungs.

Yea the SawStop one is awesome. Love it on my 3HP PCS. I have seen a number of people around the net retrofit it onto a non-SawStop saw. Seems like a great option.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I'll add a +1 to the use of the SawStop guard. I have that rigged up on my Ridgid TS and it's amazing how much dust it collects. It doesn't work that well when you're crosscutting if your miter fence lifts the guard too high. Same if you're doing cuts where you're only removing a small amount. But otherwise it works really well.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Nice setup Steve! I'll have to look into that.

I have a SharkGuard on mine - it works great - just have to be patient when ordering as they get busy and it can take a while

IMHO a shop vac is not going to pull the CFM to really capture all the dust from a TS - better than nothing but not in the same league as a real DC (even a mobile one)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I have a SharkGuard on mine - it works great - just have to be patient when ordering as they get busy and it can take a while

IMHO a shop vac is not going to pull the CFM to really capture all the dust from a TS - better than nothing but not in the same league as a real DC (even a mobile one)
    The wait on the SharkGuard is why I went with the SawStop model instead. Plus the SawStop model can work with a shop-vac, although I have mine hooked up to a DC.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Man, seeing these pics has me thinking about ditching my Grizzly overarm guard and going with a Shark Guard. I like how close you can get the fence to the blade with the Shark.