Thread: Plywood NoVa DC area?

Plywood NoVa DC area?

I'm looking for A1 or A2 Natural Maple with a K core around northern Virginia. I found something close at Chesapeake in Baltimore for $69 sheet but min $500 for free delivery. Anyone have any other suggestions - NoVA would be better than Baltimore.

Thanks!

I hate to point you to the big box, but the Lowe's in Culpeper carries decent cabinet grade 3/4" maple for about $53/sheet. It's made in the USA and is not the cleanest ever, but it works and looks pretty good.

If your local Lowe's doesn't carry it, you may want to call around to others. In NoVa, there's a Lowe's about every mile and a half (exaggeration, of course) so one of them should have it.

Depending on where in NoVa you are, Culpeper isn't too far of a drive if you have a way to transport the goods.

3. I have not custom ordered plywood from them, but have bought BB and oak plywood from Hardwoods in the Rough in Manassas. I have no idea about delivery cost, but you might contact them. I believe it's run by the same folks that used to run Nothland Forrest before they closed.

Blog Entries
    Hi Raymond,

Where are you? I'm in Falls Church City (22046) and still setting up my shop so I will be in the market as well. I was assuming that I could go to Smoots Lumber in Alexandria or maybe use TW Perry. I'm going to want to replenish my stock of BB plywood. Also, I am to build a banquet and some other furniture for our new house. I will definitely be in the market for plywood.

I'm still have a lot of work to do in the shop before I go shopping for wood. but maybe we could make contact and if the timing was right we could combine orders.

Not close, but Wurth has a operation in Richmond. But they have funky sales hours in our location, being only open to public in the AM. May be the same there. Check with a local cabinet shop and see if they can tag your sheets on their next order. Have you checked Chesapeake for actual freight charges?
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-24-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Not close, but Wurth has a operation in Richmond. But they have funky sales hours in our location, being only open to public in the AM. May be the same there. Check with a local cabinet shop and see if they can tag your sheets on their next order. Have you checked Chesapeake for actual freight charges?

Who are Wurth and Chesepeake?

I see a Wurth Wood Group in Richmond. I can get closer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Hi Raymond,

Where are you?
    I'm in Springfield, 22150.

I sent Chesapeake a couple of emails for pricing - didn't get a same-day response, but lo and behold.. this morning I got a phone call from the salesman apologizing for not getting back to me. I was flabbergasted...

Delivery is free if you order $500 - pricing I was quoted was:
    3/4 4x8 RC White Maple A1 VC A1 premium poplar core (imported) 68.80
    1/4 4x8 RC White Maple A1 VC A1 premium (imported) 35.20
    6mm 4x8 Russian Birch B/BB Ext VC 44.52
    6mm 5x5 Russian Birch B/BB VC 21.11
    12mm 4x8 Russian Birch B/BB VC 75.52
    12mm 5x5 Russian Birch B/BB VC 32.50
    18mm 4x8 Russian Birch B/BB VC 102.40
    18mm 5x5 Russian Birch B/BB VC 47.75

I want to find out if the import is Canada or ...

If you're willing to drive to Baltimore to pick up, I'm pretty sure the minimum at Chesapeake plywood is $250 at the will call desk. It's a little more than an hour away from you and you wouldn't have to buy so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fischer View Post
    I sent Chesapeake a couple of emails for pricing - didn't get a same-day response, but lo and behold.. this morning I got a phone call from the salesman apologizing for not getting back to me. I was flabbergasted...

Delivery is free if you order $500 - pricing I was quoted was:
    3/4 4x8 RC White Maple A1 VC A1 premium poplar core (imported) 68.80
    1/4 4x8 RC White Maple A1 VC A1 premium (imported) 35.20
    6mm 4x8 Russian Birch B/BB Ext VC 44.52
    6mm 5x5 Russian Birch B/BB VC 21.11
    12mm 4x8 Russian Birch B/BB VC 75.52
    12mm 5x5 Russian Birch B/BB VC 32.50
    18mm 4x8 Russian Birch B/BB VC 102.40
    18mm 5x5 Russian Birch B/BB VC 47.75

I want to find out if the import is Canada or ...

If you haven't already tried them, run by Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield. They have several flavors of cabinet-grade plywood, though not in huge quantities.

You might also look at Harbor Products. They are in Maryland, but deliver free in the DC area for a minimum $100 purchase. They can also break down sheet goods for you prior to delivery. Good folks, and they stock some hard-to-find grades of plywood like HDO and Phenolic faced ply. https://www.harborsales.net/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    If you haven't already tried them, run by Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield. They have several flavors of cabinet-grade plywood, though not in huge quantities.

You might also look at Harbor Products. They are in Maryland, but deliver free in the DC area for a minimum $100 purchase. They can also break down sheet goods for you prior to delivery. Good folks, and they stock some hard-to-find grades of plywood like HDO and Phenolic faced ply. https://www.harborsales.net/
    Colonial is a bit high (esp compared to Chesapeake) last time I called colonial was $80 for a sheet of 3/4 pre finished c3 birch, Chesapeake was just over half that.

I sent Chesapeake an email to verify origin of the imported maple. If it's Canada - I'll probably order from them. Roger - if you want to tag on to the order let me know.

[QUOTE=Ted Phillips;2673980]If you haven't already tried them, run by Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield. They have several flavors of cabinet-grade plywood, though not in huge quantities.

You might also look at Harbor Products. They are in Maryland, but deliver free in the DC area for a minimum $100 purchase. They can also break down sheet goods for you prior to delivery. Good folks, and they stock some hard-to-find grades of plywood like HDO and Phenolic faced ply. https://www.harborsales.net/[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip on Harbor - interesting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fischer View Post
    I sent Chesapeake an email to verify origin of the imported maple. If it's Canada - I'll probably order from them. Roger - if you want to tag on to the order let me know.
    Sales counter told me it was China... oh well, still looking...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Raymond,

I'm just not ready to buy materials yet. I'm still unpacking boxes on nights and weekends.
    Hmmm... Harbor sounds kind of interesting. It's an hour and a half from me, though. I'm still going to check out Smoots first.

I will be needing quite a bit of 5/4 white oak (common, the knotty stuff) soon. I know Smoots has that at a price that works for me. But I would prefer some family owned operation up in the Shenendoahs just because I like small family owned operations.