Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Do it all" HVLP Spray gun reccomemendations requested

"Do it all" HVLP Spray gun reccomemendations requested

Greetings,

It seems very hard to find this information all in one spot, so I was hoping to pick your brains. I have never sprayed before, but I would like to. My budget is about $400. I would like a spray gun that I can use with my air compressor (craftsman professional, horizontal, 7.4 at 40 and 5.8 at 90psi, 1.6hp, 25 gallon).

I would like to use it for as many mediums as I can (lacquer, prime, latex - knowing I will have to thin it) so I THINK I am looking for a gun that has capability of 1.3mm to 2.5mm (so the option of buying more needle kits is necessary since I don't need ALL the sizes at first). I do not intend to do large projects with it... probably things like entrance doors, furniture, etc.

I don't have the budget right now for something like a Fuji and I don't think I want to buy one of the Earlex all in one setups. Or maybe I do?

Can anyone help with my dilemma? Also, where are good options to purchase from. spraygunworld.com and spraygunindustry.com appear to not exist anymore (and I realize they have a HORRIBLE BBB rating as well as communication skills).

Thanks!

Jeremy

Get a gravity feed conversion gun if you have a compressor. Here's one I use that has worked well for me.

With a big tip, I've sprayed (thinned) latex. I have a Craftsman compressor similar to yours.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would lean more towards LVLP mini-guns with that compressor. The HVLP recommended is a good gun but with a 13 CFM spec your tank will empty out in seconds.

I bought my newest gun, a HVLP conversion gun, from Homestead Finishing Products just a couple weeks ago. http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/

I agree that you'll probably be looking at a LVLP gun with the CFM available from your compressor. Mine met the 8 CFM@40PSI requirement of my gun with just a little to spare.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post
    I would lean more towards LVLP mini-guns with that compressor. The HVLP recommended is a good gun but with a 13 CFM spec your tank will empty out in seconds.
    I think that an exaggeration. I've shot finish with a pancake compressor. Unless you're going to shoot continuously for a long time, the compressor you have should keep up with your spraying very easily. I have essentially the same compressor and have never had a situation where I ran out of air.

Also, don't forget that you have a regulator at the gun that steps the pressure down to maybe 20 lbs and that gives you more air, also (the air expands as the pressure drops).

Mike

[Additional comment about shooting with a pancake compressor: You just have to plan your job so that you shoot a section at a time and then give the compressor time to catch up. But with my bigger compressor, I've never had to stop shooting to let it catch up.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use a similar as above, but Devilbiss Finishline 4.

Use the finest nozzle 1.3 for woodwork and it sprays all fast drying finishes perfectly. If you use disposable DeKups, the cleaning is faster than cleaning a paint brush.

I spray everything, except pens, no matter how big or how small.

Yes, the specification is 13cfm, but that is only wide open, spraying 12" wide thick coats. I have a 11cfm compressor and for most woodworking projects it idles, only kicks in every 5 minutes or so.

I agree with Mike's assessment. Like many other people on this forum, I use a Wagner brand HVLP conversion gun. I run it using a (really loud) Coleman oilless 1.5 HP compressor and it keeps up with ease. I Have even used it with my little Porter Cable pancake compressor but it won't work continuous duty. You should have no trouble using this gun with your compressor and it does a great job. Here is where I bought mine.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

Edit: You will need a larger tip diameter than standard and thin by %5 to spray Latex.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-23-2017 at 5:42 PM.

Jeremy, have a look at the Qualspray range from Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. I believe the AM6008 LVLP should spray everything you mentioned with your compressor - comes with 3 N/N's and can also use the 3M PPS kit for $355. http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...ray-hvlp-guns/

IMO Andy's got it right. The Qualspray AM6008 LVLP will spray nearly anything you want. I have the HVLP version and have sprayed shellac (25 seconds #4 Ford Cup) to WB clearcoats (45 - 65 seconds) to pigmented lacquer (100 seconds) to BM Advance paint (500 seconds) with the 3 needles included in the kit. I highly, highly, can't say it enough, highly recommend the 3M PPS cup version of that gun. It will allow you to spray at any angle including upside down and makes clean up a breeze. Plus, the clear cup allows you to see how much finish is still in it, which is not possible with the standard metal cup. If you want one gun that can spray nearly anything, at any angle, the AM6008/PPS is it.

John

John and Andy are spot on. As for myself, I have used 2.0mm conventional spray guns for the last 40 years. It's always been an Iwata or Devilbiss. I spray everything from fine furniture to cars to high build epoxies to houses. I have a few guns so that I don't cross contaminate. I use a pressure pot, a suction pot and a gravity pot depending on the application. Finish is far more dependant on technique than equipment. Cheers

Spot on, guys. Thank you for the recommendations.

I indeed just ordered the Qualspray AM-6008 LVLP from Homestead Finishing. I did get the kit that comes with 3 tips and I purchased the 2.0 as well. I did not get the 3M version, but I assume I can add that on later?

Thanks again!

Now I am just waiting for it to arrive... I have an external door I need to spray!!

Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy Treibs; 03-24-2017 at 3:07 PM.

Jeremy, yes you can add the 3M system later - congrats on the choice, will be interested to hear what you think once you use it

You should be able to spray roofing cement (just kidding) with the 2.0 mm tip. I've easily sprayed BM Advance (500 seconds equivalent #4 Ford cup) with the 1.5 mm tip. I first thought I would need to buy the 2.0 mm tip, too, but now I can't think of why I will ever need it.

I'm sure there are other spray gun packages that would meet your needs, too. But Jeff does a good job of putting together a very complete package in the AM-6008 at a very good price. It sprays everything I've poured into the cup great, much better than my prior low end HVLP gravity feed guns. I'm pretty sure you will be pleased with it. I followed Jeff's instructions and set the inlet pressure at 29 psi, the fan at 1, the cup pressure most often at 5 psi, and adjusted the fluid needle until I got a good pattern, generally in the 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns open range. I keep a record of the settings for everything I spray. Setting up requires nothing more than adjusting the everything to those values, and away I go.

Let us know what you spray with that 2.0 mm needle.

John

Hey, guys.

SO for those who have the 6008 and recommend the 3m PPS HO system, which adapter, filters, lids, and container do I buy?

Also, the shipping price was so high that I added as much stuff as I could to the order to try and recoup the shipping costs. I don't know what I will use the 2.0 for if the 1.5 will spray latex well either. But I didn't want to pay high shipping every time I wanted to try a new needle kit.

When you buy the PPS H/O cup with the Qualspray gun it comes with the correct adapter, and 5 plastic liners and filter lids. I'm still using them after more than a year and many gallons of finish through them.

I'm pretty sure you can buy everything you need directly from 3M. As you pointed out, it's the HO cup, so just buy the liners and lids to go with it. 3M also sells the needed adapter to fit between your gun and the cup. Of course, you could buy it from Homestead, too, w/o concern that everything works together.

John