Thread: Grizzly Tenon Jig Upgrade (?)

Blog Entries

Grizzly Tenon Jig Upgrade (?)

The Grizzly jig isn't top of the line, but I was buying a lot of stuff at once and decided to opt out of the $300 tenoning jig and bought the Grizzly instead.

It required a complete dismantling, de-greasing, and re-assembly to get everything properly set up. After that process (~1 relaxed hour), the only problem I had with it was the cheesy piece that holds the back of the work piece. It's flimsy and is just an odd design. I wanted to practice with this thing first by making a simple box joint (I don't have a box joint jig and was hoping this could double as one anyway).

So I made the frankenstein thing below. Just tacked together so far. Only made one cut so far, but it seems to work well. I need to make my sacrificial side piece for the jig tonight.

Cheers,

0322172015a.jpg
    0322172015b.jpg

IMG_20170322_211443_366.jpg

PS: Those astute photo detectives will see too many holes in the vertical piece and notice the odd horizontal piece locations. That's because I spent a lot of time thinking about the best position of the horizontals, pre-drilled my vertical piece and then brought everything over to the welding table and promptly screwed it all up. Not to fear! I then re-drilled the holes in the wrong spot once I figured out my mistake.... Third time's a charm. So I hear : )
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 03-23-2017 at 1:23 PM.

Nice upgrade. That little piece of bent metal isn't much but I've never had a problem with it. And I so very rarely use the jig....

Does the added weight make it tippy at all?

Blog Entries
    Not much tippiness factor. Focusing on putting pressure on the left part.

Worked pretty well