Thread: Direct Diode Laser 1064nm - new to me, how about you?

Direct Diode Laser 1064nm - new to me, how about you?

So I came across a vendor selling Direct Diode laser, supposed to operate faster & more efficiently than a standard Fiber laser, Company name escapes me, out of Ontario Cali. Results look pretty impressive but you know how that can be. Any knowledge of this Tech?
    355 - 10400 : )

I have a six watt diode laser and its a fun project, but at that power lever its so slow. I am not aware of any 20 watt or larger diode. It would require either water cooling or very high volume air cooling to work. I would not be surprised to see a practical large one say 20 or 30 watts sometime in the next few years. I mean affordable for people like us to use.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Most new Fibres are DPSS, lamp pumped is old technology these days
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    No Rodne, not them, I'm disinclined to give them any publicity except to say that they're in Ontario, Cali. I asked if they could refer me to a Texas customer and they said no. I'm getting the shell game feeling.

Not knowing what was being talked about, I googled it. Here is the Czech version (translated): QUESTION:
    What is the difference between a DPSS (diode pumped solid state crystal) and fiber laser? Are some fundamental differences among these systems?

ANSWER:

Both laser systems are quite similar to each other and that leads quite often to confusion. Diode pumped solid state crystal laser is conceptually older laser system, where fiber lasers continued successfully. As the fiber as diode laser are essentially the same wavelength (about 1064nm), which is applied for very similar applications - work with metal and plastic materials. Diode pumped solid state crystal lasers are relatively well suited to describe plastic and metal materials regarding to the lower energy in a beam pulse.

A very distinctive differentiating feature is a lifetime of the laser source. While the laser diode lifetime is estimated approximately at 30tis. hours, the fiber laser has the lifetime hundred thousands of hours. The confusion between both lasers is mainly due to the transport fiber, which is represented in both types. However, this fiber is not an active environment of these lasers and says nothing about the device type. The Active environment of fiber lasers are optical fibers with an Ytterbium admixture located in the laser source. A special crystal is an active environment of diode lasers usually located in the laser bench. Because of the crystal heating by generation of laser radiation is the laser bench provided with cooling ribs.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Fibre is a method of transport, DPSS is a method of energising

The two common methods of Pumping are Lamp and Diode (there are others) but you could also direct use the DPSS source via normal optics to achieve similar results at a lower cost without the need of a transport fibre
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Fibre is a method of transport, DPSS is a method of energising

The two common methods of Pumping are Lamp and Diode (there are others) but you could also direct use the DPSS source via normal optics to achieve similar results at a lower cost without the need of a transport fibre
    So Dave, is their assertion that an SPI mopa is dinosaur technology just sales talk or just BS?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Wrong "Ontario"...that's the one in Canada, not southern California.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

pretty much 90% of laser technology is dinosaur to be honest Nev, very little has changed in 30 years ...it's being refined but very little is really new.

The only really significant development in the last 10 years has been MIT managing to produce a beam of a smaller diameter than the lasers wavelength as an experiment, pump methods change, switch methods change, gain mediums are being refined but the core operation of lasers hasn't really changed at all.

Fixed length pulses in Q-Switched lasers are much more limiting at high repetition rates compared to the adjustability of Mopa systems

If the company are going for resonator via a normal optical train there will be less losses but you will also have all the usual problems that come with optical trains compared to the control that a fibre transmission system uses
    You did what !