Thread: Gramercy Bow/Turning Saw Kit Questions

Gramercy Bow/Turning Saw Kit Questions

I am making the TFFW Gramercy bow saw with their kit. The drawings show curved tenon shoulders. The explanation from TFFW is that they are curved on their bow saw because "they could" due to automated manufacturing. However, the said for making your own, the curves are not necessary.

I know a number of you have made this saw. What are your thoughts? My main concern is if the mortise and tenon mating surfaces are "square" will there be a tendency to have strain on one side (top or bottom) of the tenon stretcher piece? That is, will there be a visible gap at the joint?

Or, if I have executed to the correct dimensions, the joint will be tight based on blade length?

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I have made a few of these. having square shoulders isn't a problem. Something else you should consider: This is a tool and not a peace of furniture. if there is a small gap when you add blade tension, it's not going to be a big deal. again, I always just use mine for work so I have never really noticed a gap or even cared to look. Follow the plans and it will come out fine. If there is a small gap, and it really is that big of a deal to you. Then remake the center brace, you could do that out of scrap wood. I think you might be over thinking this a bit

Blog Entries
    I made one. It does quite well. I pretty much follows the plans.

I wouldn't expect small variations to affect the saw. One thing to consider is that if you make apart wrong,
    you can make another part. Also, if you decide that you don't like something about the saw. you can make another part.

Don't overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
    I have made a few of these. having square shoulders isn't a problem. Something else you should consider: This is a tool and not a peace of furniture. if there is a small gap when you add blade tension, it's not going to be a big deal. again, I always just use mine for work so I have never really noticed a gap or even cared to look. Follow the plans and it will come out fine. If there is a small gap, and it really is that big of a deal to you. Then remake the center brace, you could do that out of scrap wood. I think you might be over thinking this a bit
    I have NEVER been accused of overthinking anything! That said, when I make a tool I always keep in mind that it will outlast me and I want it to be nice enough for it to be passed down. It also gives me pleasure while making an item, thinking about the particular grown child who will eventually receive it when I am gone. I have already deviated a little bit by using a highly figured (but stout) piece of maple and have made it more sculptural and pleasing to the eye and touch (my eye, my touch anyway)

I doubt however, I will ever be able to match the precision of several fellow members (Stewie's chamfer planes immediately come to mind as a most recent example)

So yeah, I guess I am WAAAAY overthinking this bad boy!!!!

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Have you thought about making one out of scrap first? That way you have a better idea of how you might want to change something later. The handles don't need to be glued in, they will be held in place with the blade. That way you can test one out before making the final one out of the nice wood you have.

Blog Entries
    I made one out of curly maple. Guess what, I over stressed it and broke one of the legs. I replaced the broken leg with qs white oak. There is no glue anywhere in the saw.

Mortise and tenon joinery is required by the plans I used. It is a fun project.