Thread: Basic Woodworking classes

Basic Woodworking classes

I have a grandaughter that lives in Denton, TX and she is wanting to learn how to use the basic woodworking tools. Circular saw, drill, saber saw,etc. Does anyone know of a place in that area that she could go to? I know that the big box stores have some DIY classes but most of them are for people who have some skill with tool. I am to far away to go teacher.

Take a look at maker-space organizations in the area.

I know there is a fairly well equiped one between N.Dallas/Farmers Branch and Denton, just off on I-35E. I've looked at their website, but not visited.

Edit: Also, sign up for Woodcraft sales flyers; they list classes that they teach in the Plano store (20 miles to Denton). Maybe a new Frisco location for either Rockler or Woodcraft...?? (only 10-12 miles to Denton)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-23-2017 at 4:26 PM.

I learned by taking classes at area high schools. Perhaps they have those.

Woodcraft flyer was in the mailbox when I got home - -

Take a look at www.woodcraft.com/stores/dallas
    - - April 10, Hand Tool Basics & Sharpening (chisels, scrapers, planes, saws)
    - - April 22, Basic Woodworking (table saw, jointer, bandsaw, router, sanders, basic hand tools)
    Not exactly what you mentioned, but maybe a place to start?

I checked with Woodcraft but their program is a lot more advanced. She has 3 small children and just wants to learn the basic tool so she can make a few thing for them. She just wants to learn basic woodworking tools circular saw, drill, saber saw, etc. As she does not have a table saw and so forth. Needs to purchase a home first. I would think it would only take at most a couple of hours to show her how to use them safely.

Looking at google, it looks like Denton Tx is maybe an hour from Dallas Tx? If so, there should be a ton of adult continuing education classes in a city that size. Community centers, community colleges, a few high schools and some private companies offer beginner claases in car care, home maintence, etc etc.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You may want to contact the North Texas Woodworkers Association http://www.ntwa.org/ One of their members might be willing to give some instruction or know of someone who gives appropriate classes. They are a real good bunch of folks (at least they were when I was a member (and board member) 10 years ago, before I moved to San Antonio) I know some of the folks are members here on the creek.

John

go on you tube ... just literally search how to use xxxxxx tool thats how i learned how to use a lathe worked out well . for the tools you listed pretty much a good guide line is dont touch the blade.

one thought would be to volunteer for a local habitat for humanity or similar and get two birds with one stone learning how to use some basic tools and helping out the community at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Better sign up for those high school classes quick. HS shops are becoming a thing of the past:
    1. Teachers are hard to find. Doing pays better than teaching.
    2. Liability insurance.
    3. This sort of things is not on the standardized tests. If it's not on the tests, it's a real fight to justify.

I live in Falls Church, VA and there are no shop classes (or shops) in the schools. I took a tour of the high school and the old shop is sort of a storage area for fluorescent lights and pumps and other parts to keep the aging schools going. One area school reportedly is heated using a surplus boiler from an old battleship.

My grandson won't suffer from the lack of shops but I feel bad for the rest. They do have some sort of maker space and a robotics club. I suppose that stuff serves that same cognitive purpose but it doesn't serve very many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I learned by taking classes at area high schools. Perhaps they have those.

They both have small children so Habit for Humanity is not going to work at this time. John Stankus, I did send an e-mail to a couple of the officers of the NTWA over the weekend but so far have not heard any thing back. Have not been able to find any school programs in the Denton area that offer any wood working classes. Would like to thank every one for your suggestion.
    Cecil