Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bit adapter for Delta shaper

Router bit adapter for Delta shaper

I am considering buying a used Delta shaper but I already have a pretty good collection of 1/4 and 1/2 inch router bits. I've seen some lower end Grizzly shapers advertised with adapters that allow the use of router bits.

Does anyone know of something similar that could be used with the Delta?

Thanks.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Shapers like the Delta usually have a top speed of 10,000 rpm; router bits are designed to run at 13 -20,000 rpm. The cut when router bits are run in a shaper is usually pretty rough with all but the larger diameter bits. Can be done though.

That being said, yes, Delta used to have a router bit adapter for their shapers and I think the Grizzly adapter will fit a Delta. You'l probably have to find a split adapter bushing for 1/4" bits.

Blog Entries
    I have a 70's Delta shaper. Any kind of router bit adapter would be rube goldburg. I have absolutely no interest in such a device.

You can buy shaper bits from several sites. I see no reason to use router bits. Routers run much faster than shapers. The bits are different animals.

Just my take on it. Some one else may think otherwise.

Before you go down that rabbit hole make sure you realize essentially all 1/4" bits and the vast majority of 1/2" bits will be running too slowly on a shaper (save the rare ones with high speed router spindles) to cut effectively. Unless you have a lot of 1/2" panel raising bits or other huge router bits it just isn't worth the money. The vast majority of router bits will cut better when run in the tools they were designed for. The main reason to use a shaper is the larger cutters with better geometry resulting in better finish quality and of course to make larger cuts with fewer passes.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Agree with all. But if you can buy the thing cheaply I think it's worthwhile to cobble together a few feet of moulding match and avoid grinding or buying new tooling.

A&E Tool E-Store has what you're looking for.
    It's a machined Grizzly adapter to fit a Delta Shaper. Cost is $95.00.

AN original, OEM Delta Shaper Router Adapter, will be quite difficult to find and when, and if, you do find one, it will be $$$$.( Almost as rare as 1" spindle cartridge for the Delta shapers. )
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If it has a replaceable spindle insert there should be a router collet made for it. I believe my Grizzly 1&1/2 Hp shaper, with two piece spindle, has two speeds of 10,000 and 12,000 rpm by belt shifting. You could use a three phase motor and overspeed the motor but you are starting to run the spindle into rpm's too much for standard bearings.
    Bill

PS: remove the drive pin in the taper adapter before it shears and ruins the taper. It is not needed at all.

My shaper is a 90s craftex (grizzly for canada) that looks like an older delta. It came with adapters for 1/2 and 1/4 router bits, but I never use them. two reasons: quality of cut isn't great because it turns slowly relatively to a router; and because that thing can throw a piece of jatoba through the door, across the street, and into the neignbor's backyard - meaning that it feels as if it will rip the head off a 1/4" shaft without slowing down much. ( I haven't tested this.. and don't plan to. )

I have a delta shaper and the remachined grizz router spindle. I agree that the finish it produces running a router bit isn't as good as the same bit in the router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    A&E Tool E-Store has what you're looking for.
    It's a machined Grizzly adapter to fit a Delta Shaper. Cost is $95.00.

AN original, OEM Delta Shaper Router Adapter, will be quite difficult to find and when, and if, you do find one, it will be $$$$.( Almost as rare as 1" spindle cartridge for the Delta shapers. )
    oh yeah,, what do they sell for? i've got both.

Thank you everyone for the well detailed responses.

My other question is this. I picked up the Delta shaper last night but the insert rings for the table opening we're missing. Yes I checked Delta's site and to no surprise they're no longer being made. Does anyone know if said inserts are interchangeable from shaper to shaper? I know Grizzly stocks them for there 3HP shaper. Also, I wanted to purchase a new 1" spindle as well but the same issue again with Delta parts - it's no longer available. I know A-E tooling sells 1" spindles for older Delta shapers but the seller clearly states that they won't fir the Delta X5 series shapers. If anyone has any solid leads on where to purchase one I would greatly appreciate it. I'm assuming the shaft spacers and nuts are interchangeable from model to model of shapers since they're 3/4", 1/2" etc for X size spindle regardless of model number or year made.
    Last edited by Dimitrios Fradelakis; 03-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but CMT and Amana used to make a cutter head that would take different cutters ( Relatively inexpensive compared to dedicated shaper cutters ) and you can have custom cutters made as well. I used one on my shaper for custom mouldings, etc. Worked quite well and left a nice cut. As far as using the router bits...... the feed rate has to slow waaaayyyyyyy down. So not really worth it in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but CMT and Amana used to make a cutter head that would take different cutters ( Relatively inexpensive compared to dedicated shaper cutters ) and you can have custom cutters made as well. I used one on my shaper for custom mouldings, etc.
    Both (as well as others) make insert cutter heads and knives. Often they are far more cost effective for a hobbyist or a pro running some one off for a job. CMT has the cheaper system and has a large assortment of knives. This is the cheapest source I have found for the knives, it seems like Amazon used to be cheaper for the cutter block multi-knife sets but I didn;t bother to check.

https://www.routerbitworld.com/Inser...stem-s/967.htm
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Both (as well as others) make insert cutter heads and knives. Often they are far more cost effective for a hobbyist or a pro running some one off for a job. CMT has the cheaper system and has a large assortment of knives. This is the cheapest source I have found for the knives, it seems like Amazon used to be cheaper for the cutter block multi-knife sets but I didn;t bother to check.

https://www.routerbitworld.com/Inser...stem-s/967.htm
    I've found the amana heads to be a bit cheaper than the cmt.

I agree on router bit world having the best prices. $14 for a set of knives makes them less expensive then just about every quality router bit.

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    oh yeah,, what do they sell for? i've got both.
    Last time I saw a Delta, OEM, 1" spindle cartridge, for sale, the asking price was over $500.00 and he got it. An OEM router collet set, 1/4" and 1/2" will be north of $275.00.
    If you have them, don't just let them go. They can be worth more than your machine, used, by themselves.
    The reversible 3HP WEG motor is a very desirable used component of the Delta shapers also.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)