Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting thin strips without loosing a finger?

Cutting thin strips without loosing a finger?

I'm looking to cut some thin pieces of stock to about 1/2x1/2" square, and then 1/4"X1/4" square.

All I have for tools is a cheap portable table saw and a new router and table (that I haven't set up yet).

I saw there are fancy schmancy yellow guide blocks, but they're a bit pricey.

Im curious: how do you guys cut thin strips?

I use the schmancy fancy yellow guide blocks, not to be confused with the fancy schmancy ones.

You can build your own set of push blocks using the GRR-ripper as inspiration, it doesn't have to be as adjustable just built to do the job at hand.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Depending on how stable your fence is on the "cheap saw" just make a jig out of scrap wood - similar to this one http://www.finewoodworking.com/2008/...ng-thin-pieces or there are plenty of ideas in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=thin+strips

I'll give those links a look!

Does the Gripper really help? Is it work the dinero?

the grrrrrrrrriper really does work well. some do not like it because you can not use the over blade guard. i am happy i bought one and do not regret the $$ spent. I have spent more on much less useful things for the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    Does the Gripper really help? Is it work the dinero?

Yes, no and maybe. I love mine but there are some that don't care for them, especially at the price. Now, if I only had a "cheap portable table saw" I would be putting my "GRR-ripper money" into savings for a better and heavier saw. While I still use my portable saw on occasion outside the shop it "scares" me more than any other tool/machine I own, I firmly believe bigger heavier table saws are much safer to use.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Yes, no and maybe. I love mine but there are some that don't care for them, especially at the price. Now, if I only had a "cheap portable table saw" I would be putting my "GRR-ripper money" into savings for a better and heavier saw. While I still use my portable saw on occasion outside the shop it "scares" me more than any other tool/machine I own, I firmly believe bigger heavier table saws are much safer to use.
    Honestly, I'd love a bigger one, but I don't have the space! I've had great luck with my KREG circular saw attachment and I use that more than the table saw. I essentially use the table saw for smaller cuts. I think I'd probably invest my money next time into a track saw.

Blog Entries
    Push stock in half way, tilt up from blade, flip, push stock in until two pieces. Lift finished piece.

I use the Gripper just about everytime I use my saw, although I should add that I mostly do pretty small scale stuff. Just have to remember to check and double check the "tunnel clearance."

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Push stock in half way, tilt up from blade, flip, push stock in until two pieces. Lift finished piece.
    I have to say that doing this would scare the bejesus out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I was thinking of something similar: pushing the stock in until I'm 8inches or so from the blade, but then using my miter saw to cut the piece to size.

I think the largest length I need is about 3 feet, but I have stock 4' and up

What about a thin strip jig from Rockler and a zero clearance throat plate.

I built a thin strip jig like Rockler's using a bearing I purchased at a local hardware store and some plywood.

At the Woodsmith site there are plans.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

i almost pulled the trigger on a Rockler thin strip jig but decided to try a featherboard instead. It worked like a charm. Since then I've made a jig like the one linked earlier in this post. Both work great.

Forgot to mention, the Rockler jig and the featherboard require you to move the fence each time. That is the reason I switched to the other one and like it better. I was getting consistant results with the featherboard, but hated moving the fence after each cut. The other is simpler. Set your fence one time and make all the cuts you need.