Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help: New part, still stuck on the 8" inlet Dust Gorilla Pro

Please help: New part, still stuck on the 8" inlet Dust Gorilla Pro

Hi all,

If you haven't been following our issue, it's that we can't get our 8" machine adapter into our oneida dust gorilla pro. We originally thought we had the wrong part and ordered a replacement, but that's not working either, and it turns out it's the same size as the original part.

We've tried crimping the machine adapter and hammering it in the inlet, and that did not work either.

We took the best measurements we could and are attaching pictures here. We are seeking advice as we are trying to follow Oneida's recommendation and slide the adapter inside the machine.

Any other tips or recommendations?

Here is a link to the replacement part we ordered: http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-In...ce=grizzly.com

And here is a link to the original thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lla-Pro-Oddity

We now have one crimped (failed) and one not-crimped 8" machine adapter.

Pictures attached.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.51 PM.png

Update: We talked to someone that knows their stuff at Oneida (thank you very much Oneida Advanced Customer Support) and they said that even though it's not advertised, they normally order the 8" machine adapter with a smaller than 8" OD. She's convinced this is our problem and is going to drop-ship a new adapter. This sounds reasonable to us.

We will keep posting progress as it happens.

Thank you to all of the posters, and Brian Smith, we are not offended. Like we said previously, we're embarrassed to be frustrated to the point of even having to ask about something as simple as this.
    Last edited by John Sayen; 03-24-2017 at 3:04 PM. Reason: Posting update

John, did you by chance call and get Oneida on the phone with your part in-hand so they could talk you through the problem? Something is amiss...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, did you by chance call and get Oneida on the phone with your part in-hand so they could talk you through the problem? Something is amiss...
    Not with part in hand, but talked through it with them. They recommended crimping it and sliding it inside the inlet. There's just no way.

I feel foolish even posting this but I'm stumped. We plan to try calling them tomorrow again.

Are those 2 different measurements on the yellow inlet? If so, that is not an 8" inlet

Seems your adapter is a lot closer to fitting over than inside, refer to my original advice. Or have Onieda send a cyclone with an actual 8" inlet

Blog Entries
    Here's a possible work around. Take the adapter in photo #4 and cut 6-8 slits about 1-1/2" long evenly space around the circumference in from one end. Spread these fingers slightly and slip it over your yellow tube. Slide the adapter on as far as possible and secure it with a 6" hose clamp. Then once it is clamped in place seal the slits by wrapping some aluminum duct sealing tape around the pipe. Since there will be a slight vacuum inside the pipe, the aluminum tape will seal tight.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Appreciate the thought but there's only about a 1/4" collar on the 8" inlet on the DC at one positition. We don't see that solution working well unfortunately.

We're going to call Oneida again today. This is so irritating.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.36.11 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post
    Not with part in hand, but talked through it with them. They recommended crimping it and sliding it inside the inlet. There's just no way.

I feel foolish even posting this but I'm stumped. We plan to try calling them tomorrow again.
    Did you not read my post in the original thread ?

Simply install a double end crimped adapter INSIDE both the collector and norfab pipe.

Three screws on the collector end will be plenty to hold it place....

You can purchase it directly from Oneida or a big box store such as Lowes.

Spiral pipe adapters.JPG

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Did you not read my post in the original thread ?

Simply install a double end crimped adapter INSIDE both the collector and norfab pipe.

Three screws on the collector end will be plenty to hold it place....

You can purchase it directly from Oneida or a big box store such as Lowes.

Spiral pipe adapters.JPG

Cheers, Don
    We did, and we appreciate your response, and what we're trying to say is that an 8" crimped pipe will not fit inside the inlet. We tried, and it blows-out due to the pressure of the hole being so small.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.38.42 PM.jpg

I'm wondering if it would work to cut a slit down the metal pipe and overlap at the slit to reduce the diameter. Would require some working to make a smooth transition but an anvil will do. Aluminum tape inside or a tack weld or even some adhesive would keep it cylindrical for a good fit. Or drive in a few screws from the outside.

Another thing I've done to make DC adapters of various sizes: start with a short piece of PVC pipe that is a little too big. Cut a narrow strip out of it and squeeze slightly to fit the ID I need to match. Glue. For reinforcement I take another ring, slit it, slide it over the outside of the first piece and glue into place. I did this in several places on my cyclone system. (To connect firmly to the other fitting, I generally drive two or three self drilling screws through the outer pipe.

Another thing that works: heat a piece of PVC evenly and it will soften and become flexible. You might make a quick wooden mandrel for a perfect form but it would be easy to reduce or enlarge the diameter as needed. In your case, perhaps a few hose clamps could reduce the diameter or simply put on some gloves and roll it on a work surface. Some people use a propane torch to heat but a broader heat source such as a torch with a flame spreader would give a more even heat. Or an oven. I always use an electric heat gun.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'm wondering if it would work to cut a slit down the metal pipe and overlap at the slit to reduce the diameter. Would require some working to make a smooth transition but an anvil will do. Aluminum tape inside or a tack weld or even some adhesive would keep it cylindrical for a good fit. Or drive in a few screws from the outside.

Another thing I've done to make DC adapters of various sizes: start with a short piece of PVC pipe that is a little too big. Cut a narrow strip out of it and squeeze slightly to fit the ID I need to match. Glue. For reinforcement I take another ring, slit it, slide it over the outside of the first piece and glue into place. I did this in several places on my cyclone system. (To connect firmly to the other fitting, I generally drive two or three self drilling screws through the outer pipe.

Another thing that works: heat a piece of PVC evenly and it will soften and become flexible. You might make a quick wooden mandrel for a perfect form but it would be easy to reduce or enlarge the diameter as needed. In your case, perhaps a few hose clamps could reduce the diameter or simply put on some gloves and roll it on a work surface. Some people use a propane torch to heat but a broader heat source such as a torch with a flame spreader would give a more even heat. Or an oven. I always use an electric heat gun.

JKJ
    We very much appreciate the idea, and are hoping that it doesn’t come to this. We feel pretty high maintenance asking this, but isn’t this “issue” we're having a bit above and beyond what one would expect to deal with normally?

John,
    Sorry to read of the continuing turmoil.
    Your photo above shows you tried a crimped pipe. but didn't get it all in or much depth. I'm trying to say you almost made it fit, but not enough penetration.
    The deeper the crimps or the more numerous the crimps... the smaller the OD of the pipe becomes. Might you go back over the crimps you've already made and set the wrinkles a little deeper?

BobV

Crimping allows the metal circumference to compress somewhat uniformly. You need to help it along in decreasing the circumference. If you have big funnel, you might try tapping it down over the outside of the crimped edge. Otherwise, you might use a big radiator-type hose clamp to gently tighten (compress) that end a bit so it inserts into the 8 inch opening.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post
    We did, and we appreciate your response, and what we're trying to say is that an 8" crimped pipe will not fit inside the inlet. We tried, and it blows-out due to the pressure of the hole being so small.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.38.42 PM.jpg
    Of course, I can't find it right now but somewhere on the Oneida site it says that this is the connection adapter that is needed to start your runs.

And it did work for us using 8" spiral.

If you are not willing to try the (recommended) Oneida adapter, I would take a jig saw to your norfab part and make a series (4?) of straight cuts in your already crimped adapter and increase the length of crimping.

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

You'll notice in the sidebar other helpful videos. You might pick up a pair of ductwork/pipe crimpers. You can get them at any of the borgs.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Something doesn't make sense. I just installed my system and had no issues. The part that I used was an 8" machine adapter. Part number GAM0800000. It just slid right in, although it was a tight fit, I didn't have to do anything to it to get it to fit. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but is the inlet not the right size?