Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help: New part, still stuck on the 8" inlet Dust Gorilla Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

You'll notice in the sidebar other helpful videos. You might pick up a pair of ductwork/pipe crimpers. You can get them at any of the borgs.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. As you can see in the picture above, and here, we tried crimping one of the adapters with 22 gauge crimpers and then tried sticking it in the inlet. After applying significant pressure the 8” machine adapter “blew-out” on one side, which you can sort of see here.

We believe the hole truly is “too small” and are trying to get Oneida to call us back.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.38.42 PM.jpg

The adapter that Oneida sent with my Super Dust Deputy, slipped into the inlet with no trouble whatsoever. No extra crimping, cutting, bending, taping needed. As did the big box store fitting I bought later and use now. It should if the adapter and the hole are made correctly. It's obvious that Oneida makes the inlets to a whole inch diameter dimension in all the cyclones, since all need some kind of crimped adapter to connect to any further ducting. I'm sure they allow some tolerance, but I think you are the victim of a too small inlet diameter + too short inlet length + bad weld job.

My gut feeling is you have a part (cyclone body) that is not really to "spec". Oneida might claim it's in their tolerance, but given the very short stub inlet flange sticking out of the cyclone body and the rough welds, I'm doubtful if that is really true. I just went out and measured my SDD, and the inlet sticks out at least 2.5" at the closest point to the cyclone body. Why would they make the SDD with a 2.5" deep inlet flange and your larger version with less than a 1/2" one? I think I would be looking for an exchange to get a different part. I'd like to hear from another owner of the same cyclone body as yours to see if theirs is made to the same dimensions.

I'm hoping Oneida customer service will make this right for you.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 03-24-2017 at 2:53 PM.

Might try this from Fernco- -
    2017-03-24_13-44-08.png

Quote Originally Posted by david blakelock View Post
    Something doesn't make sense. I just installed my system and had no issues. The part that I used was an 8" machine adapter. Part number GAM0800000. It just slid right in, although it was a tight fit, I didn't have to do anything to it to get it to fit. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but is the inlet not the right size?
    That’s what we’re worried about - not sure how to post a proper picture or take a proper measurement even to try to “show” it being the wrong size. When you say part GAM0800000 are you able to provide a link?

We have tried two different Nordfab 3249-0800-100000 - 8" Industrial Dust Collection Machine Adapter, one straight from nordfab and one from grizzly (also a nordfab)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-In...-Adapter/H7429

Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. As you can see in the picture above, and here, we tried crimping one of the adapters with 22 gauge crimpers and then tried sticking it in the inlet. After applying significant pressure the 8” machine adapter “blew-out” on one side, which you can sort of see here.

We believe the hole truly is “too small” and are trying to get Oneida to call us back.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.34.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.38.42 PM.jpg
    I think you are over thinking this

The "hole" is too small so move on.

Straighten out the "blown out" area and use a jig saw to remove some material.

Or hammer that area flat and stick it back in

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Here is the link to the part https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory..._no=GCOLLECT13. I agree that the inlet is too small and most likely a manufacturing error. Which if that is the case totally sucks as that means you either send it back or try to come up with a solution on your own. For the amount of money they charge, I would expect them to make it right. Which I would think they would.

Update: We talked to someone that knows their stuff at Oneida (thank you very much Oneida Advanced Customer Support) and they said that even though it's not advertised, they normally order the 8" machine adapter with a smaller than 8" OD. She's convinced this is our problem and is going to drop-ship a new adapter. This sounds reasonable to us.

We will keep posting progress as it happens.

Thank you to all of the posters.

... isn’t this “issue” we're having a bit above and beyond what one would expect to deal with normally?
    Based on the many things I've bought, assembled, and adapted over the decades, I'd say, no, your experience is probably not too far from normal. Some manufacturers are better than others and everything snaps together. My ClearVue cyclone needed some creative adaptation. When I run into an issue I adapt or make something and go on.

Things like this actually fit nicely with the reason I like having a shop in the first place. However, I have welding, machine shop, electronics, and a big variety of raw materials on hand. I built the entire shop by myself so I ought to be able to come up with something that works! Also, I'm not very patient and can't stand the order/wait/try/repeat cycle.

JKJ

The effect is.....

Having grown up in the WWing biz,I feel so sorry for you all.

Update: Oneida is sending a replacement barrel unit. It's a bummer that we'll have to disassemble the entire unit but in the end it should be worth it.

While that's a pain to disassemble the unit and replace that inlet section, it's probably the best long-term solution since clearly, something is amiss.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Update: Oneida is sending a replacement barrel unit. It's a bummer that we'll have to disassemble the entire unit but in the end it should be worth it.
    That sounds better!

If it wasn't for that section with only a 1/2" sticking out and it was me, I'd probably have just made it work by going over instead of in. But with it under size and too short - make it right please