Thread: Spalted Maple

Spalted Maple

My first true hollow form using my homemade captured system and cutters. Approximately 7" in diameter, finished with rattle can lacquer.
    It certainly made life a whole lot easier.
    C&C welcome and appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you nailed it pretty well with these two pieces Daryl. Sweet........
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks David, fun aint it lol.

I like it. Looks great!

Wow Daryl, very nice. That wood, form and finish are all very pleasing to my eye.
    USMC '97-'01

Very nice piece. I love the look of spalted maple.

Red
    RED

Beautiful wood, beautiful finish. Beautiful picture.

I like the form at the top. (Personal opinion alert) I am not a huge fan of tucks most of the time. *My* eye wants a sharper take-off from the base, or a more gradual transition into the tuck so the overall curve appears to be one curve instead of two separate curves with a flat in the middle.

(edit) reading back i realize I am nitpicking on a beautiful piece. Nicely done!

Thanks, Greg, Adam, Randy, and Prashun, for taking the time to look and comment. I'm still learning and need, want opinions. I doubt that I will ever make that "perfect" piece. I'm not artistically inclined and struggle with form and shape. I've never been completely happy with any piece that has come off the lathe, any piece could be made better. That's what brings me back to the lathe.
    Thanks again!!

"I've never been completely happy with any piece that has come off the lathe, any piece could be made better. That's what brings me back to the lathe."

Me too. I don't claim to understand good form and how to achieve it, but I'm still hunting.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-24-2017 at 9:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Thanks, Greg, Adam, Randy, and Prashun, for taking the time to look and comment. I'm still learning and need, want opinions. I doubt that I will ever make that "perfect" piece. I'm not artistically inclined and struggle with form and shape. I've never been completely happy with any piece that has come off the lathe, any piece could be made better. That's what brings me back to the lathe.
    Thanks again!!
    You and me both brother. I think form is the hardest thing to learn. Much harder than riding a bevel or sharpening a long grind. There's no jig for form that I've found. If there was I wouldn't want to use it, some things have to be learned the hard way.
    USMC '97-'01

Warning on spalted wood - I found out the hard way after making a couple spalted maple bowls. Sawdust never bothered me in the past. However, when I started making spalted maple bowls I started to have problems. First one I got a little congested. Second bowl I got more congested. Third bowl I ended up in the ER. Apparently I'm allergic to the mold in the spalted part of the maple. I now wear a tight fitting respirator and run the dust collector through a hose next to the bowl whenever I'm working with spalted maple. In fact, I've started wearing the respirator when I sand any wood. It wasn't fun when I couldn't breath, it definitely ruined my weekend! Try explaining to the ER doctor that you were "turning spalted maple". The one who saw me just stood there as he had no idea what I was talking about. I had to explain what spalted maple was, after that he figured out that I had probably developed a severe allergic reaction from the exposure.

Other than that, you did a great job on your vessel!