Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Laguna lathe

Red face New Laguna lathe

Received my new 18/36 today. OMG it is so much better than the Nova Comet, and I know that isn't a fair comparison, but it is amazing the difference in experience the extra power makes. I have some fine tuning to do on the layout, location, etc but it's a start. I'll be building a sand box for it and probably raising it up a little too.

First bowl bowl knocked out on it. Need to go back and smooth the inside a little but I got tired and had to call it quits for the night.

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-23-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Congrads Greg! Nice lathe!
    Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Congrats on the new and very nice lathe! Nice first work on it too. I'm jealous.

Congrats Greg! She's a beaut. I really like the control panel on these lathes. I wish mine had controls like that. Nice looking bowl too.
    USMC '97-'01

Greg, you are going to enjoy the Laguna! IMO, it is the best value on the market today.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks guys. Love it so far. Will have to get a new chuck soon though as the little G3 is a little undersized for these bigger pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Greg, you are going to enjoy the Laguna! IMO, it is the best value on the market today.
    John, I know it's a lot to ask but would you mind sharing some pictures of your sand box drawer setup? The one on your review helps but is pretty small and hard to see well. Also, did you make any adjustment or settings on the delta box? I can't find anything about it in the lathe manual but it does have switches on it so I wasn't sure. Thank you!

here is how mine came out of the box
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-24-2017 at 7:18 AM.

Great looking Lathe Greg, i'm sure your going to love it.
    Good job on the bowl, looks like it will be a stunner when you finish it. Looks like spalted Sycamore????

I've been eyeballing the Laguna too. You talked about raising it a little...what is the spindle height? I'm 6'4", and I had to jack up my Nova 1624 to a comfortable height.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brouillette View Post
    I've been eyeballing the Laguna too. You talked about raising it a little...what is the spindle height? I'm 6'4", and I had to jack up my Nova 1624 to a comfortable height.
    Had a chance to actually see one over at Rockler last week. I'm same height as you and that's the first thing that jumped out at me. Had to double and triple check it was completely assembled. Way to short for me unless it gets elevated. Didn't like the placement of the tailstock lock lever with the comparator casting installed. Looked like it could be a knuckle buster. However, really liked the headstock taper and very much liked the tool rest cam lock. Wish my PM had that, very nice feature. Pretty nice lathe with everything needed to do anything you want at an attractive price point, just to short for me. YMMV
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Great looking Lathe Greg, i'm sure your going to love it.
    Good job on the bowl, looks like it will be a stunner when you finish it. Looks like spalted Sycamore????
    thanks. Yes. It's spalted red sycamore. I really like the way this turns. Wish I had a bunch of sycamore trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brouillette View Post
    I will go measure but it's too low for me too. I'm 6'1" and feel like I have to hunch over too much. I'm going to raise mine.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Had a chance to actually see one over at Rockler last week. I'm same height as you and that's the first thing that jumped out at me. Had to double and triple check it was completely assembled. Way to short for me unless it gets elevated. Didn't like the placement of the tailstock lock lever with the comparator casting installed. Looked like it could be a knuckle buster. However, really liked the headstock taper and very much liked the tool rest cam lock. Wish my PM had that, very nice feature. Pretty nice lathe with everything needed to do anything you want at an attractive price point, just to short for me. YMMV
    I agree. I wanted the PM3520B but just couldn't justify the price point at nearly $2K more. Even 9 year old used ones were nearly $1K more. Doesn't make sense to me. If I were going to spend $4k, why not go ahead and get a serious lathe or a robust lathe. Heck you can probably find a oneway 24 used not far off that price range. Anyway, my preference would have been the PM but my budget said no. LOL

Greg,
    Congratulations. I'm moving in a couple of months and have promised myself a new lathe with the Laguna as the frontrunner for some of the reasons you mention as well as John's earlier review. I'm 6'1" as well and thought it might be a little low. Will be very interested in your adjustments to raise the lathe and build the sand box if you're willing to keep us posted. Oh yeah, like the bowl too! Happy turning. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    thanks. Yes. It's spalted red sycamore. I really like the way this turns. Wish I had a bunch of sycamore trees.
    I love turning Sycamore as well, i've found it "behaves" quite well. I have a Sycamore on the ground now that hopefully will spalt.
    I'd gladly load you up if your within driving distance.
    The vase on the right is Sycamore, [no spalting] that I did last year. One on the left is Ambrosia Maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The spindle is at 41.5".
    Be sure the model in the stores has the pegs installed at the bottom; if raised they give you 2 inches more.

I love turning Sycamore as well, i've found it "behaves" quite well. I have a Sycamore on the ground now that hopefully will spalt.
    The vase on the right is Sycamore, [no spalting] that I did last year. One on the left is Ambrosia Maple.
    those are awesome Daryl. Would love a truck load of sycamore but a little far for me being down in Florida. Thanks for the offer though.

Sycamore

Since Greg is too far away, I guess it's up to me to come after his Sycamore. I think you are just over an hour down the road. I have well over 100 species of wood in my shop but only a couple of small pieces of sycamore so I've never really given it a fair try.

Most of my turning is spindles and small boxes and things so if you mostly do larger things I probably don't have much to trade unless you could use some ebony or something for finials. I do have a HUGE quantity of big green white oak and hickory logs awaiting my sawmill or my firewood pile, if any of that would be useful. Also some logs of eastern red cedar. I have some small walnut logs and need to cut a maple and probably a big cherry when I get the time. Do any of those interest you?

Nice vessels, BTW.

JKJ