Thread: Soap Stone, What Purpose?, Sharpening?

Soap Stone, What Purpose?, Sharpening?

Hi All,

I recently bought a box of old sharpening stones. Mostly Carborundum and India stones, but some natural stones also. At any rate all of the stones, including the 3 slip stones that were the reason for buying the box, are clearly sharpening stones.

The interesting thing that included in the bunch was a set of soap stones. These are white and somewhat translucent, and are roughly 1/2" X 3/16" X about 5."

Every stone in the box is clearly and unambiguously a sharpening stone, which brings me to the soap stones, which were in a factory labeled box that was clearly labelled with a factory label "soap stones."

That brings me to my question: Since these soap stones were with a box of nothing but sharpening stones, am guessing that someone thought that these had something to do with sharpening, or used them in sharpening.

Thus my question: What would these soap stones be used for in the sharpening process, or were they just in the wrong spot and used for some other purpose, and if so, what?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

I think you are looking at the work of a professional yard sale organizer! I haven't seen the soapstone used for anything except as markers and sinks.

Those are soapstone pencils, used by welders and other metalworkers to mark on rough metal. Used like chalk, but it holds up better at heat. You can pick them up at welders' suppliers. Way too soft for any sharpening.

metalworking and marking in general. Good for marking stones too. Generally not used with wood working.

I was curious once and we are supplied soapstones to mark on metal at work. I thought maybe it can sharpen my knife. Tried it... absolutely useless. It was much softer then steel, therefore cannot scratch it.

The soap stones you have are used for marking on steel, usually steel that will be cut with a cutting torch. Since soap stone doesn't burn easily, the marking stays on the metal under the intense heat before cutting.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Those are intended for metal. I keep some around because they can be sharpened to a chisel edge and used to mark lines for rough cuts on darker wood. Handy but not necessary.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Maybe he used it for marking oilstones for flattening. Just a Thought.

They are also used to "chalk" files so the files don't clog while in use.

You file the soapstone into the file to fill the tooth gullets... Then when you file - the chips don't clog up the file quite as bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    They are also used to "chalk" files so the files don't clog while in use.

You file the soapstone into the file to fill the tooth gullets... Then when you file - the chips don't clog up the file quite as bad.

I think we have a winner.