Thread: Ideal aisle space between workbenches,...

Ideal aisle space between workbenches,...

I reworking my shop, and wondered what people thought was the ideal space between tools/workstations/workbenches to move around.

My goal is to have enough space to be comfortable, but also to reduce movement.

I'm thinking about 4' is optimal.

Imagine a simple case with base cabinets along a wall, then an aisle, then the main workbench.

How wide is that aisle?
    Mark McFarlane

Mark 4'is what I like what
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

If you the only one who will be working in the shop, 4' is about right. If others will be working there too you will need to increase the space to about 6'. I wish I could follow this in my home shop but it is too small. I'm lucky to have 3' aisles, but I am always working alone in my home shop. Where I worked used these dimensions and it has worked out well.

Charley

No matter what you choose, a foot more would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    I reworking my shop, and wondered what people thought was the ideal space between tools/workstations/workbenches to move around.
    My goal is to have enough space to be comfortable, but also to reduce movement.
    I'm thinking about 4' is optimal.
    Imagine a simple case with base cabinets along a wall, then an aisle, then the main workbench.
    How wide is that aisle?
    It might depend somewhat on the size of the craftsman (!) and the things likely to be maneuvered through and within that space. Will an isle by high wall storage need a step stool kept handy in the space? Ever a need to carry sheet goods or long boards there, push a cart or equipment on a mobile base, dance the tango? Will you work with a bench or stool at times and need space to walk around it? Do you envision longer work to ever protrude into the isle space, say when planing a board? How about carrying a project down the isle to the workbench?

Before I built my shop I mocked up isle spacing with some big cardboard boxes. I carried things through, pushed an imaginary cart, stood and pretended to work and turn. I wanted a little more space between the lathe and the workbench, to the left side of the table saw, etc. If the shop and benches and things already existed this would be easier. In the end, my optimally desired spacing was somewhat compromised by the stuff I wanted to cram into the shop! To me, 4' sounds wonderful.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Before I built my shop I mocked up isle spacing with some big cardboard boxes. I carried things through, pushed an imaginary cart, stood and pretended to work and turn. I wanted a little more space between the lathe and the workbench, to the left side of the table saw, etc.
    JKJ
    I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that! I tape off all the machine footprints on the floor with blue tape then move stacks of boxes into the machine footprints to test the room between them (I never have enough boxes to do the whole shop). I also used shop design software (the one on Grizzly) to move long workpieces around to make sure there was plenty of infeed/outfeed room.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You want to leave enough space to maneuver a lift for heavy stuff. I use a patient lift.

IN-9800A-Mast-Boom-and-Pump-Assembly-for-Hydraulic-Lift.jpg
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that! ....
    I also used shop design software (the one on Grizzly) to...
    Oops, your auto-correct somehow changed "wise" to "crazy."

For this shop I use the high tech design paperware with cutouts for each thing taped to a large piece of paper. Once I determined the optimum and acceptable spacing, I made circles for both to "walk" through the shop. I also made a circle for an office chair at the desk and a tall stool. When it came time to transfer things from paper to concrete I used the blue tape on the floor and walls (for shelves and such.)

I say blue tape, but I actually used some fantastic green masking tape, not to be confused with the painters tape from the Borg. This stuff is made to stick to concrete, block and things. Works well for labels too since it is not dark.

3M Masking Tape for Hard-to-Stick Surfaces
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4AY

JKJ

I'm with you on the 4' as a reasonable distance and I say that because of experience in my kitchen. Originally, I had the mobile kitchen island setup with a 3' "galley" space between it and the range/sink. I changed that to 4' a couple years ago and it was honestly a major revelation. Everything is still in reach, but there's space to move. In my shop, I wish I could move my workbench another foot from my miter station surface for the same reason, but I just don't have the space to do it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies, and especially John.
    Mark McFarlane

My first workshop was in a 13x24 room with some overflow into other areas in the garage. I had one spot that was only 3' wide by 6' long. It never created any problems. I also had an open area about 6'x10' that allowed me to lay sheet goods flat on the floor to cut them down. I would have felt really cramped without that breathing room.

Steve

Thank you Steve.
    Mark McFarlane