Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas Shooting Plane vs Veritas LAJ?

As others have said, I have both and you would have to pry the shooting plane from my cold, dead hands, lol.

Derek,

Many thanks for your reply. I found the details of your post after posing my question and it is useful to have you confirm my suspicions.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My main problem with the shooting plane is convincing my wife both the left and right handed models are needed.

jtk

My main problem is justifying the LV version after I already own a LN Mitre Plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Thanks all for this post. I'll ask a related question--I currently don't have a decent shooting option and a vintage #7. I've been considering a LV custom jointer to use as both a jointer and for shooting. Does anyone have experience with the jointer for shooting? Would consider getting a custom 42.5 deg. frog to facilitate shooting, without appreciable loss of performance for jointing.

Relatedly, does anyone have a thought about using the shooting plane for planing end grain outside of shooting (i.e., using 'freehand' to clean up dovetails, etc.)?

In short, I'm considering a jointer that secondarily covers shooting or a shooting plane that covers larger end grain (for which I currently use a block plane). In the end, I'll likely end up with both and I've considered the LA Jack, but sense that the LA Jack would not be the best route.

FWIW I work primarily with milder domestics.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    C

The vintage #7 and the Shooting plane are wildly different planes IMHO. A vintage #7 can be had for relatively short money, the shooting plane is a big investment (for me anyways.) I would buy depending on cash flow...

FWIW I can joint longer boards just fine with my type 13 stanley (Hock Blade) that I bought for $12 in 1989....the #5 makes a not so good shooting plane. My #7 does not work well as a shooting plane.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I do as Prashun does.

Bingo....words of wisdom here.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Derek,

Many thanks for your reply. I found the details of your post after posing my question and it is useful to have you confirm my suspicions.

Best,
    Chris
    Indeed, he is an excellent "elder statesman" on our hand tool forum...