Thread: I need a smoother operating double square

I need a smoother operating double square

Hi again guys,
    I have two 4" double squares, an iGaging and a Veritas (link). You were right a couple years ago - these are really handy tools and I use them constantly. The problem is that neither of them slides along the rule very smoothly and both are difficult to "unscrew" when I want to set a different measurement. So I'm ready to upgrade.

Both of these have the locking knob up near the blade.
    1) I'm wondering if the type that have the locking knob at the bottom of the square move more smoothly? (I notice Starrett does that.)
    2) Can you suggest another brand that doesn't have these drawbacks - Vesper, Starrett, etc?

Thanks again,
    Fred
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-24-2017 at 4:17 PM. Reason: fixed the title
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My starret is smooth, it's also pretty new.

Can you lubricate the blade with wax, and the threads with grease?

I have a really small Starrett double square, and lots of other Starrett tools. They are pricey, but were always good quality. We used a lot of Mitutoyo and Brown and Sharpe tools in the shop too,which were good brands.Also, check the hook end that engages the blade. If it is rough that will keep it from operating smoothly. You can touch it with a small stone to take any sharp edges off.
    Last edited by Tony Pisano; 03-24-2017 at 5:32 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pisano View Post
    Also, check the hook end that engages the blade. If it is rough that will keep it from operating smoothly. You can touch it with a small stone to take any sharp edges off.
    +1
    Often one can make a huge difference in the quality of the action on the cheaper squares with just a little tuning.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Fred, my Starrett squares can all be difficult to unscrew at times. I think it depends on how strong I was the last time I used them. Years ago I had a Brown & Sharp double square that had a deeply knurled nut that was easier to tighten & loosen. Unfortunately one of my coworkers needed it worse than I did. One trick to making them slide smoother is to take a fine India stone and just break the sharp edges of the blade.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Look for a PEC double square. You can get blem seconds on eBay at a reasonable price (bit over $20). They're smoother than the iGauging double squares.

Mike

[PEC is an American company and I think the squares are American made.]

[Here's an eBay listing - 151515185414 but search for PEC cosmetic second]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-24-2017 at 6:12 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a newer Starrett and it's smooth w/ a bit of bees wax. I have a larger, older combo version by Lufkin which is very smooth. You can find these at antique shops, yard sales, etc. excellent value for the money and well made.
    Mac

I normally use a PEC in my own shop, but I kept a couple of the iGaging 4" squares at school. As mentioned, a little judicious work with a stone and some needle files will smooth them up considerably, but the PECs are inherently nicer. I would imagine that if you're willing to pay the $80 a Starret costs you would have a very nice square, but I'm pretty happy with the PEC blem I got on Ebay.

Huh, I dont have those issues with my Starretts. Order one from Amazon and give it a try. If you dont like it for some reason send it back.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I received a Starrett as a gift but, my PEC's were so much smoother and easier to operate that I sold it to a member at a good price (don't tell the person who gave it to me). I also like that the imperial PEC head is machined to imperial dimensions; 1" x 1/2" x 3-3/8". The Starrett was something else; probably very accurate metric 'something'. I move well between imperial and metric but, I rarely use metric so YMMV.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-24-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks folks. Sounds like first I should try tuning up what I have. If that doesnt suit, it's either PEC or Starrett.

As always, I appreciate your help!
    Fred

Edit: Just tuned them both. Broke the edges of the blade. Polished the hook. Put beeswax on the threads. Holy moly! They are like different tools! Thank you folks!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-24-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Follow up on what I did.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”