Thread: In between Project time?

Question In between Project time?

Currently, there is a lull before the next project will get started....might even call it a vacation.

Thinking I can make use of the "downtime" to:

Clean things up
    Sharpen any edge tools that MIGHT need a bit of work
    Check the hand planes, and see which need a tune-up
    Maybe do a bit of rust hunting, for tools I don't have
    Getting the saws sharpened up, cleaned up and organize a bit better..

Happens about every time there is a little bit of time between any projects. I can take the time to make sure all the tools will be tuned up, and ready for work, before the next project comes along. Could be a day, or a month...whenever.

Anyone else use their "downtime" like this? Maybe just call it a Maintenance Day or the shop's tools. I know most would rather be working on a project, but, sometime, they MIGHT want to consider such a day...or three? Just like taking the car in for a tune-up. Have to make sure they are ready to go..BEFORE they are needed...

Yes, I do. And it's a good time to take care of one or two little annoyances. For example, I recently used some in-between time to replace the broken handles on my drill press.

I totally do this. Clean, wipe down, inspect, sharpen, square up etc.

Blog Entries
    I go out to the shop and act busy so SWMBO doesn't rope me into doing house work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Spent a little bit of time tonight in the shop. Part of the stuff my son bought at H-F today was a Green Polishing compound. Spread a good thick layer on my leather strop, and honed about..8 chisels. Only one needed a few swipes on an oil stones.

Next, set aside the chisel stuff, got out the wentworth #1 saw vise, and got out a Disston No. 7.......decided to see IF I could sharpen a 6ppi rip saw. File was a Stanley 6" extra slim taper file I bought at Menards awhile back. This will be the second saw it will get used on. I also had a brand new file on standby....didn't need it. Then, some dummy decided to see IF the saw could rip a board......oh yes, it will cut , quite fast, too. So fast that I didn't get my left hand out of the way, then the "saw-stop" kicked in......and I had a cut across the left index finger... Saw did pull to the left, which was where the burrs were. Stoned the burrs off, and then just polished the plate up. Will save the new file for another day...

I sure do... The bulk of the woodworking for my guitar building hobby is done during winter when I am heating to run the humidity way down. This is traditional as a way to control cracks due to low humidity...

but - since South Carolina doesnt really have a long winter - I only have a 3 or 4 month window of good guitar body building time.

And that leaves the rest of the year for fishing and other projects.

Well, the in-between time for the Dungeon Shop has about come to an end. Went out and brought back a bit of lumber......3 pcs. Need to build a bedside table...for MY side of the bed. That TV Tray thingy is getting in the way. May do a tapered leg detail, instead of a turning.....lathe is buried under a bunch of.....stuff. Need to crosscut, joint and then glue up a top. Might be enough left over for a couple of the aprons...will start a new post to cover a "Table making build"