Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can this chisel handle be saved?

can this chisel handle be saved?

Have a Barton chisel I'm restoring and the handle has issues,,,Wood is solid but there is a major crack,,See pics....Handle appears to be held in with a pin of some sort? And the crack on one side has a bit of the wood gone as the crack progressed...I'd like to restore the handle in place w/o having to deal with the removal and pin..Then I have issue of filling gap on one side.....Your advice/suggestions will help me decide...Can always turn new handle but I have several others waiting in line before this...Your thoughts? Thanks

2017-03-24 13.52.59.jpg2017-03-24 17.09.45.jpg2017-03-24 17.09.54.jpg2017-03-24 17.10.15.jpg
    Jerry

I'd replace it, Jerry. It'll be a lot of work to try to close and fill the crack - maybe more work than making a new handle.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I've made similar handles with saws, spoke shave and sand paper. I would get a piece of hard maple to make a new handle.

I would start by making a hexagonal or octagonal blank. Then shape it with a spoke shave and or draw knife.

Have a go at it, you will enjoy the task.

Blog Entries
    It looks like the pin wouldn't be difficult to remove. My choice would be to get rid of the pin before it cuts my hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pack the crack with an epoxy, add a bit of scrap onto both the missing area and the epoxy......Clamp things up nice and tight, let it sit for a day or two......then shape the filler piece to match, and call it done. Use it a few times, the oils in your hands will colour the patched piece, and may even hide the repair. Worth a try.....BEFORE more drastic measure are taken. Hmmm....might even take a whopping 10 minutes of "work" to do? Try this fix first, have time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Pack the crack with an epoxy, add a bit of scrap onto both the missing area and the epoxy......Clamp things up nice and tight, let it sit for a day or two......then shape the filler piece to match, and call it done. Use it a few times, the oils in your hands will colour the patched piece, and may even hide the repair. Worth a try.....BEFORE more drastic measure are taken. Hmmm....might even take a whopping 10 minutes of "work" to do? Try this fix first, have time, right?
    Good idea worth trying before the lathe,,,What is your reco regarding brand/type of epoxy for repair like this? Thank you Steve
    Jerry

Whatever type works with wood, and can be slipped into the cracked area, and then clamped up, before it sets up. Maybe use a couple toothpicks, the kind with the flattened end?

You have a couple options.

The reality depends on whether it's going to be a user or a collector.

99% chance the cotter pin is not original. Probably installed by a well meaning owner when the hand kept falling off instead of using a dab of shellac.

1. Leave it be. Collector value is higher unmolested.
    2. Make a new handle. Jettison the pin.
    3. Epoxy is your friend - fill the crack with 5 minute epoxy. Sand, polish, and be on your way
    4. Saw out the crack and splint it with a rectangular piece of wood and Titebond 1. Don't hammer a wedge in or you will split it.

Pick your poison.

All good ideas..I'll pick my poison in AM..Thanks you all.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    I would make a new handle as I stated earlier. Keep the old handle in case your concerned about collector values. This approach will give you both values.

I personally never worry about collector values. A tool that works is my concern.

Blog Entries
    1. Leave it be. Collector value is higher unmolested.
    Me thinks the collector value of this particular chisel, handle combination is toast. That is unless there is a rare edition where chisels were made with cotter pins to prevent handle slippage.

If being collectable makes one of my tools unusable, it is likely to be sold in order to buy one that isn't collectable. Some of my tools may be collectable, but they must also be usable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Methinks that "Just making a new handle..." might be even more work, than just fixing the crack and putting the chisel back to work. Keep It Simple......

If the handle can be repaired, then why bother to make a new one? Other than to show off handle making skills? The moment the chisel was drilled for the pin, it became nothing more ( or less) than a user.

I've glued up more than one old wood handle that was split in half with a crack. Never thought of trying to make a new handle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Methinks that "Just making a new handle..." might be even more work, than just fixing the crack and putting the chisel back to work. Keep It Simple......

If the handle can be repaired, then why bother to make a new one? Other than to show off handle making skills? The moment the chisel was drilled for the pin, it became nothing more ( or less) than a user.
    That handle looks like it would take more time to repair than it would take to turn a new one. This of course requires a lathe which I believe the OP does have. Even with a good repair seasonal movement can make a split like that uncomfortable in use.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That handle looks like it would take more time to repair than it would take to turn a new one. This of course requires a lathe which I believe the OP does have. Even with a good repair seasonal movement can make a split like that uncomfortable in use.

jtk
    Bit of a reach to think seasonal movement will lead to issues with a repaired chisel handle.