Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone compared jorgensen to bessey I-beams

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    When I say "review" it generally means on a professional level. That's why i don't buy parallel clamps....
    Not sure I see how being a pro relates to parallel clamps? I use them because they are faster and I can stand them up when a panel is glued up. I Like that when a panel has two on it you can slide a third under sideways, something bar clamps will not allow. They are just not so damn clumsy. Less prone to damage without cauls, and I can make them work with one hand when needed. I like them, So in summary, I am a pro, and I lie Bessey K bodies. Oh, the shame!

But I am curious about the Bessy I beams I have been doing more doors lately and I like beam clamps on doors, could use some more.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 03-25-2017 at 3:53 PM.

I used to do work for a living, and now that I am retired, can afford all the toys I used to have to do without. Funny how that works out. Did building projects because I enjoyed working with wood, and still enjoy doing it. Just can't hardly handle a whole kitchen project, because it wears me out till I need 2 weeks to rest up afterwards.

Blog Entries
    I bought a lot of parallel's at first, tried them and took them back. I kept 4 just for dovetails. I took them to work to try on radius tops to see if they were worth purchasing again. They worked but I could get the same results with a $13 Menards f-style clamp...This parallam is 48x96 and requires a lot of force to draw a good joint. I-beams would be perfect. The parallel clamp? Not so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anyone have a link on where to buy the Bessey I Beams? I could not find any. I bought 4 of their Parallel clamps when they first came out but did not like them. We never use them, but recently had a chance to try the new model and they work a lot better. The best bar clamp I have used is Hargrave (sp) with the big wood cranks. They come up used occasionally.

Like wine, they get better with age Joe. Did not like mine at first either but as they broke in and got less catchy, and I got used to how they work, now I would have a hard time getting along without. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...bar-clamp.aspx

Learn something new every day -- I didn't know that Bessey made i-beam clamps, but I have owned and used Jorgensen's and they're good, fairly heavy duty workhorses. After many years of owning just about every different brand and style of clamp, I finally got some Bessey K-bodies and loved them for their accuracy and ease of use. But then, I was just making custom furniture for a living so my glue joints didn't need a million pounds of clamping pressure!

Blog Entries
    I didn't know they existed either.. But fewer options these days and I need to find a replacement....

Looking around for good deals on Bosch 4x24 belt sanders too..

Joe, selectmachineryinc.com is who I get Bessey from when I need them.

I have some of the I-beam clamps - the steel ones. The major problem I have with them is that the glue up gets pretty heavy. The I-beam clamps are a lot heavier than the Bessey K body clamps.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have some of the I-beam clamps - the steel ones. The major problem I have with them is that the glue up gets pretty heavy. The I-beam clamps are a lot heavier than the Bessey K body clamps.

Mike
    You have Bessey I-Beams?

The weight with clamps are not a problem. We have forklifts...
    IMG_0128.jpgIMG_0131.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Joe, selectmachineryinc.com is who I get Bessey from when I need them.

Thanks, I bought my Lamello from them.
    I might try a couple of the 60" I beams. We have 48" Jorgy I beams and pipe clamps for longer. Seems like we always need a bit more than 48" and not a fan of pipe clamps either.

Jack-what are all these parallam glue-ups for? I gotta know! Some of those babies are massive.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    You have Bessey I-Beams?
    No, all except one are Jorgensen I-beam, and the one other is Hargrave.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I wasnt even aware Bessey made an I beam, which caused me to panic when jorgy went under. I love the I beams from them. In the wake of their doors closing, i hounded used markets/auctions and grabbed another 20ish ibeams to go with my other 12-15 i beams. I cant say enough about the jorgy i beams. They arent a clamp for everyone, but they cannot be beat when it comes to table tops, countertops, doors, etc. Most of mine are 10-15 years old, and i expect them to last me the rest of my time as a woodworker(im 29). I have a wall of bessey revos that are great for light duty work, but the I beams are my first choice most of the time.

Honestly, with how many jorgenson i beams ive seen on the used market, just buy them used. I bought a dozen of mine new from acme 2ish years ago when they had a 50%+ sale, but the others are from professional shops. On average i paid $15 a clamp for 36"-84" i beams. That is cheaper than the besseys new. They are so durable/over engineered that I dont see how you break them or wear them out with normal daily use. Furthermore, they would be a great clamp to supplement a JLT or similar.

There's a blurb about the new Bessey I-Beam type clamps in the latest issue of Woodshop News. They seem like nice clamps, patterned after the Pony I-Beam which is no longer available due to the company going under, with what Bessey says are a few improvements. I may try a few at some point for when I need something heavier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...