Thread: LN dowel plate vs LV dowel former

LN dowel plate vs LV dowel former

Has anyone used/compared the LN dowel plate vs the LV dowel former?
    I am looking for a one time buy to make riven dowels/spindles out of different woods. Big box or catalogs have few possibilities.
    Thanks in advance!
    Pete

Blog Entries
    I can't compare, but I have the Lie Nielsen dowel plate. I'm happy with it.

My dowels are always hidden, so cosmetics do not matter. I suspect the LV dowel former will make smoother looking dowels.

One COULD even make their own.....

Blog Entries
    I bought the LV dowel former kit. My only regret is not buying the extra dies.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    One COULD even make their own.....
    I do have a home made dowel plate. It is 1/4" ss. One advantage is that if I need a different size dowel, I can drill another hole in the plate.
    The LN plate is nicer fit and finish and more pleasant to use. If I need a 1/8" dowel, I drill another hole in the plate.

Pete

I have the dowel plate. It is satisfactory most of the time. Occasionally the stock being riven will buckle under pounding, which you can easily work around. It looks as if the LV dowel former works on the same principle, so it would have the same limitations.

Doug

I have the LV dowel former and it works great. Not much I can say about it other than I just use it over a dog hole in my bench.

Matt

I was using a piece of steel with a hole drilled in it. I got the LN plate and am much happier with the job it does. It is very strong, as I have beaten a lot of hardwood through it.

I don't know anything either about the LV product except I compared them when I bought mine and I liked the idea of only one thing to keep track of (hangs on a peg in my tool cabinet).
    Regards,

Kris

I like the LV dowel former. It sits over a dog hole in my bench as Matt says. Haven't tried the LN plate, but I suspect it is also first class because everything they sell is top notch.

Half a dozen of one, six of another...

The one advantage of the Veritas product is that you can mix and match between Metric and Imperial. With the LN, you would have to purchase both plates.

Let's say you needed to make 10mm and 12mm dowels in addition to normal sizes. The two LN plates with leather sleeves and shipping will cost you $150. A set of Imperial dowel formers from Lee Valley plus two Metric dies housed securely in a plastic box will cost you less than $63 if you wait for a free shipping event.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Limited sizes but I use these

05J6001s1.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    [edited]
    Let's say you needed to make 10mm and 12mm dowels in addition to normal sizes.
    Hilton,

I never thought I would see you imply inches are normal. It almost implies Metric isn't.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hilton,

I never thought I would see you imply inches are normal. It almost implies Metric isn't.

jtk
    I'm trying hard not to be seen as the 'metric guy with the funny accent who drives on the wrong side of the road'.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hilton,

jtk
    Enter evil math mode...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_space

Not all metric spaces are normed

Given that the English measuring system is now defined by the Metric system (since about 1950 or 1960 I think), well, what does that imply for being normal....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I'm trying hard not to be seen as the 'metric guy with the funny accent who drives on the wrong side of the road'.
    Last week there was a Whitworth (BSW) sized wrench for $1 at a junk store. Just for fun it came home with me.

jtk