Thread: Foam brushing Cermark video

Foam brushing Cermark video

Seems I'd rather make movies than work today

But part of my work is several SS ID plates, and I had four 9-1/2 x 7-1/2" plates to fully cover with Cermark.
    I've done a video with some small pieces but with these being fairly large I thought I'd set up the GoPro
    and show how easy it is apply Cermark with a foam brush.

I just got a job in where I have to Cermark 65 SS operator panels, more than half of which are larger than these 4 plates put together.
    Since I started applying Cermark this way, I haven't touched my airbrush....

Now I need to engrave these plates !
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev you make that look so easy which I'm sure its not.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

it actually is that easy I'm no foam brush guru, if I can do it, anyone can!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I think I see a watch hiding under that laser. J/K
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Bad Jeff really bad

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    I think I see a watch hiding under that laser. J/K
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It looks easy peacy to me

I'm going to try some SS or Alu engraving next week, first time. How do you mix your Cermark?
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.

You'll notice I'm using an old 500gm Cermark bottle as my pre-mix container. I'd use a smaller one but I don't have one!
    These jars are great because they let NO AIR in, so no alky evaporation.

Anyway, I'm thinning my lastest batch at 3 to 1, and I use tablespoons to be accurate- and it's right on the verge of too thin-- but that's just about exactly right!
    It's thin enough that it tends to spread out from itself and appears streaky, but it's not really, once dry it smooths out nicely.
    You noticed in the video I has some drips fall out of the brush, but I bounced it a bit. If it won't stay in the brush, probably too thin.

My last batch I tried some 5 to 1 mix and it actually worked as far as engraving nicely, but it's really watery. My present batch,
    there was more in the bottle to start with and it is a bit thinner, I really don't think 5 to 1 would work for brushing, probably ok for spraying though...

A 2.5 to 1 mix with my current batch would work great... 2 to 1 would brush great,but would be a bit wasteful...

Suggestion-- in your premix and alky brush wash containers, throw in a few 5/16 SS nuts to act as stirrers when shaking. And shake a LOT!

Also, I have a bunch of cheap 12" long 1" wide fairly stiff painters brushes (got a 5 pack at Target for a couple bucks) that I use for small jobs.
    They're also great for stirring-- after shaking, I use one of them to swish and spin around the bottom of the container to loosen the stubborn mud.
    Works great! And in the video I mention 'spinning' the brush too much-- This is how I unload my brushes...when I'm done, I just use my thumb
    and finger to quickly spin the brush- after a few seconds they're nearly dry. I just set them aside until next time. I rinse them alky about
    once every 3 uses...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I've found how thin you go is more about how it applies vs how it engraved. At that thickness, you can brush it on like thinned paint. When you go thinner, it gets runny. You have to be a bit more careful during application but you'd be surprised how far you can stretch a small amount of Cermark. I did ~200 flasks a few months back on probably less than a tablespoon of Cermark.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks for the info guys, very useful.
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.

The 'new' cermark settles so much faster than the old type, lots of re-shaking on bigger jobs.

+1 on the ss nuts in the tub to help with mixing.

Foam brush makes the cermark go a long way, i cant see any situation where a foam brush isnt the best method.

Chris
    I'm a foam brush guy but I use the airbrush when I do a large quantity of small ss tags. I butt them together and spray. Much faster and saves Cermark.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7