Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammond trim sliding table saw

Hammond trim sliding table saw

Went to a really cool auction today. Picked up some nice massive tool cabinets for housing machinist tools. For pennies. No one wanted to move them I guess. Then I also picked up 2 Hammond trim-o-saw. There both like new condition and work perfect. I paid 30 a piece for them. There a small sliding table saw for the printing industry. They have a great set up for repeatable cuts. Can anyone else tell me anything about them. Thanks. Sam

DSCN2790.jpgDSCN2682.jpgDSCN3211.jpgDSCN3209.jpg There is quite a cult following for the little Hammond Sliders. I think machinejunkie.com has a bunch of Hammond threads as does owwm.org. Mine is a later G100 with the steel ways. There are a couple of earlier versions, G4 with cast iron ways but a cool art deco base look. The ruler is in pica units which i have changed over. They run slow at about 2700 rpm so you need to swap pulley to about 6.25 if you can fit it into the guard. I remade mine for a larger pulley and adjust using a vfd. I also ground the casting to allow for an 8.25" Forrest WW1. There are threads about modifying the arbor but I'd just bore out the blade and screw holes. You only need a couple of blades. The Hammond only crosscuts at 90 but does it very well. I have about 7 sliding saws and the Hammond gets used as much as any. Great for furniture work. I also made a crosscut box to fit over the existing one with a stop so I can crosscut up to about 36" x17". They typically go in good condition for 350-600 so you did well. There are lots of accessories and you will find examples on the web. DaveDSCN3203.jpgDSCN3206.jpgDSCN3207.jpg
    Last edited by David Kumm; 03-25-2017 at 7:33 PM.

Congrats man. You got an amazing deal for $30 each especially if they are clean. I have been jonesing for a Hammond trim-o-saw for a while. The artisan woodworkers who have them all seem to say they couldn't live without them.

David. Great info. Are these saws 3 phase.

Some are single phase but I always prefer three phase. A vfd is easy to add and you can adjust speed. Still needs a larger pulley though. Dave

Sam, my computer must be acting up. I can't see the pictures of said massive tool cabinets!

I've tried adding pics. I just can't do it. I would be happy to send them to anyone to post.

That is a very kewel and useful machine! Nice find!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year, but am space challenged just now so passed. Would be a handy bugger I'm sure.

Everything will be home tmrw morning. I will send pics to a trusty guy on here who was nice enough to post my last pics for me

My Hammond

DSCF9312.JPG

With my shop built quadrant accurate to better than 1/10 degree.

DSCF9315.JPG

I also modified it for an 8 1/2" blade, and dust collection. For such a small saw it has an awesome crosscutting capacity of 24" if set up proper. Out weighs my Unisaw and takes up 1/4 the floor space. Its a keeper.
    Larry

You really, really stole those saws. I have been keeping my eyes open for one for years.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I have about 7 sliding saws ...]
    ?!?!?!?!? David, there's probably a support group in your area to help you with your woodworking machinery buying addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    ?!?!?!?!? David, there's probably a support group in your area to help you with your woodworking machinery buying addiction!

There's no cure for dumb. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That is a very kewel and useful machine! Nice find!

Indeed...very impressed with this!