Thread: my 30" Buss 4L

my 30" Buss 4L

Finally got around to getting this planer dug out, changing the controls
    Over to 120v instead of the previous set up that 480v at the push buttons.
    Need to make a dust hood, install sharp knives and get a more permanent line run to it.
    https://youtu.be/xswzuQ7gU9g

Very nice. Do you have the complete grinder and jointer for it? I see the replacement Dayton motor.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Very nice. Do you have the complete grinder and jointer for it? I see the replacement Dayton motor.
    I have everything with my 24" 4L. Not sure if I will keep it all with this or send them with my 24.
    Not a huge fan of grinding knives in the head.

Your gonna need a bigger broom.

Wow! That is really cool. You could almost call it the pasta maker, the shavings are like short pieces of spaghetti.

You know way more about them than I do but I've heard they are either number one or number two in the planer world. never heard they were lower than that. Dave

You are going to require either a big broom or some serious chip collection. Either way how are you planning on getting rid of the chips?
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    You are going to require either a big broom or some serious chip collection. Either way how are you planning on getting rid of the chips?
    Getting ready to set up a 30 to 40 hp DC system to pull my moulder, rip saw, sander, planer, etc.

Have to make a dust hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Getting ready to set up a 30 to 40 hp DC system to pull my moulder, rip saw, sander, planer, etc.

Have to make a dust hood.
    I reckon that'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You know way more about them than I do but I've heard they are either number one or number two in the planer world. never heard they were lower than that. Dave
    My 24" 4L is the nicest I have seen, beside the blue paint. Came from Warner Swazey pattern shop.

As far as quality and quantity, it's hard to be a buss or whitney. I have had some really nice finish planers, but the buss is a great all around machine, from heavy cuts to really nice final passes.
    This one has one shot oil lube, quick adjust bed rolls, adjustable pressure bar. The VS feed is quick and easy to adjust.

That's pretty awesome. I'm going to be in the market for a different planer soon-ish. I'm torn between a new one with modern widgetry, or something old and indestructible (but when it does break, takes having things made)

You get your hands on some cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    That's pretty awesome. I'm going to be in the market for a different planer soon-ish. I'm torn between a new one with modern widgetry, or something old and indestructible (but when it does break, takes having things made)

You get your hands on some cool stuff.
    I have had them all, will take a buss over them all.

Only thing that goes bad on these is the bearings.

Everything else is gears and chains.