Thread: Sharpening day?

Sharpening day?

Well, with the downtime between projects, decided to at least get a few tools sharpened back to usable status..
    DSCF0012.JPG
    Meet all of my users. Motley assortment, but they do all the work in the shop.
    As for a saw that needed some "dental work"
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Dentist Chair? That stick in the vise beside it is a "crime scene"
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Was using my left hand to steady this stick.....must have been a magnet stuck somewhere..
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Might have been right there? The red handle?
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Holds one of these things..
    DSCF0008.JPG
    6" extra slim taper file, by Stanley. Was still using the first one, on it's second saw, so this one stayed in the package..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Saw was just a No. 7 rip saw. 6 ppi.
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Filed rip. Saw is a bit hard to start up, but cuts VERY fast once it does start, almost too fast for my finger. I guess the finger acted as a "Saw-Stop"?
    Chisel? All but one did not need to see an oil stone, just a leather belt with the Green Stick rubbed on it. About 20-25 strokes on the bevel, 5 on the backs. Might see IF you can ID the brands of chisels?

Now, I need to go and wrap the finger again, and see what other trouble I can get into today.....

I like the saw vise Steve and the classic saw.

I feel like I have been doing a lot of sharpening lately. My finger is still aching from where I attempted to scope the 1st joint with a good sharp 1/2" chisel a month ago.

I can send you some more harbor freight chisels if yours are feeling lonely. I also see Aldi chisels in the mix. I hear good things about them.... But alas - my Cheap Chisel Foo is as not strong as yours.

Woodcraft has a local sale on their WoodRiver 4 piece set that advertises 115CRV3 steel (1.15% Carbon... Should be long lasting assuming the ad copy is correct and they got proper heat treatment) hardened to 59-63... Which is theoretically very good stuff... But as they say - the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I couldn't pass up a set at $20/4 (normally $40/4)

The more I use my rehardened Buck brothers chisels - the more I like them. They are still very hard even tempered back at 400F... As in carve your initials in other chisels hard... They cut rosewood and ipe like its cherry... They sure are nice for paring really hard stuff. No pounding, though.

I'm sure those two H-F USERS will be just fine. See IF you can pick out the Witherby chisels, or the Buck Brothers, or the Butcher chisels in that set.....plus, there is one from Okinawa,Japan.....These are all my users, including a New Haven Edge Tool Co. chisel that has been chopping 1/4" mortises for a LONG time. Still haven't discovered any need to reharden any of the chisels here......but, then again, I don't burn the steel on mine.....

file used on the saw is on it's second saw....might get a third one, before it needs changed out. Stanley 6" extra slim taper.....about..$6 at Menards...

The Buck Brothers chisels I have, did NOT come from a BORG store.....they were made long before that store was even around. About the same age as the Butchers I have. I do have a cheap wide chisel, though. Spent a dollar for it, even. Marked as a "Jennings" and is 1-1/2" wide, tang style, with oval bolster.....haven't needed it yet, may get it out and sharpen it up....

Saw vise is by Wentworth...a Number 1.....about 1890s era. Saw is a No.7.....6ppi rip.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-27-2017 at 10:16 PM.

5. that saw reminds me of the 1990's kind of.. am I right?

More like a 1920s type of saw. Had to replace two of the bolts, waiting on the proper brass ones to show up...

May set up that Atkins No. 51, next......7 ppi....or let the sharpening Service I use work on it....

Working on a Pine Bedside table at the moment, might need a chisel or two for that...

Steve I love your term 'users'. What do you call the rest? All my tools are users or I would not buy them! I do have an old wooden plane waiting to be restored to become a user, but that may take a while.

Look in the background.....those are the users...also..
    DSCF0003.JPG

They either work, or get sold. Working on getting rid of the "non-users", and "loaners" in the shop. I have even sent a tool box full of decent tools to a friend of mine in the RCMP.....she seems to enjoy them..

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Steve I love your term 'users'. What do you call the rest? All my tools are users or I would not buy them! I do have an old wooden plane waiting to be restored to become a user, but that may take a while.
    All of my tools are users also.

Later today, I'll need a couple of those "cheap" chisels......have a bunch of Mortise & Tenon work to do.....then, maybe later this week, make a drawer with a couple more cheap chisels....dovetails....At least they are IN my shop, and ready to be USED....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Later today, I'll need a couple of those "cheap" chisels......have a bunch of Mortise & Tenon work to do.....then, maybe later this week, make a drawer with a couple more cheap chisels....dovetails....At least they are IN my shop, and ready to be USED....
    Nothing wrong with that. I use hand tools every day almost myself.

Had to chop a few of these, today..
    DSCF0015.JPG
    1/4" wide, by 3/4" deep. This was the easy one....the second one had a BIG knot right where I needed to chop.....
    That New Haven Edge Tool Co. 1/4" Mortise chisel powered right on through it...enough that I could at least glue up one assembly
    DSCF0018.JPG
    After this is done, I can start chopping the next ones, without having to resharpen any of the chisels used.
    DSCF0017.JPG
    Works for me....