Thread: How to cut 50º angle on bandsaw?

How to cut 50º angle on bandsaw?

I am working on a bowl from a board, (only my second one) and to get the pattern I want in the end I need to cut the circles on a 50º angle. I know the trick of shimming up the board if you are cutting a straight edge, but that certainly won't work here. Is there any reasonable way to do it on a bandsaw?

Thanks

Thanks to Van Huskey for posting this video full of tips and tricks:

https://youtu.be/OJTaHO2NCDA?t=11m27s

I linked it to the tip on using a carpenters square to cut 45 degree angles on the band saw but you can use a angle finder to help make the cut you need on a scrap board to 50 degrees and then nail a board to the side and make a make shift carpenters square with a 50 degree angle.
    Last edited by Dimitrios Fradelakis; 03-26-2017 at 1:49 PM.

Thanks Dimitrios, but that isn't quite what I mean. I mean tilting the table and cutting arcs out of the wood. Like these

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how well it would work, but you need to make a tapered overlay for your band saw table that is tapered 5 degrees and thick enough that the length of waste being cut off is either sitting on the tapered overlay or hanging in space above the cast table top. Then once this tapered overlay is firmly attached to your table tilt your table to 45 degrees. Between the table tilt and tapered overlay you will have an angle of 50 degrees to your saw blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Kenton Keller View Post
    Thanks Dimitrios, but that isn't quite what I mean. I mean tilting the table and cutting arcs out of the wood.
    Kenton,

How about shimming an auxiliary table mounted to your bandsaw table?

A wedge would work for a small table but for something larger like your bowl I'd probably first tilt the bandsaw table then cut a slot and fasten a piece of plywood shimmed with a wedge to get the extra 5 degrees or whatever is needed. I generally use strong, thin double-sided tape or clamps (or both!) to hold an auxiliary table to the cast iron table.

I use an angled table on the drill press for even small angles since I hate to tilt the table then have to align it again.

JKJ

Thanks John, and Lee. That sounds like it should work. Funny how obvous something seems once you find out how to do it I was stuck thinking of shimming the wood which of course wouldn't work.

Blog Entries
    The easiest way to get your 5 degree taper is to build a plywood table over your existing band saw table that looks like this. The block at the left should be 1.220 inches high at the 14" point.table.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I do bowls from boards and have a setup like the one in Lee's picture. Mine is a bit "fancier" in that I can change the angle. I used a piano hinge to join the closed end of the two boards so that the angle between the two boards can change to whatever I need to match bowl side angle.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON