Thread: Square/Round Bottle Stopper

Square/Round Bottle Stopper

Well this stopper was an accident. I chucked up a peice of wood from the grab bin at the woodcraft store and was turning it round. I shut off the lathe and liked the round/squareness of it. So I finished up the turning, making the top round, the bottom round and the middle sides flat I like it and have another peice of the same wood waiting for another stopper!
    Square Stopper1SIZED.jpgSquare Stopper2 SIZED.jpg

And here is a Lacewood stopper that has been around for awhile:
    Lacewood Stopper SIZED.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, I only have a 4 MP kodak. I set it to the Close up objects type, but it still took poor pics. Any tips?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jeff, unique designs stand out in woodturning, and this one sure is unique. If you had taken it down to get it perfectly round it would have been to small. This was a good save. What did you use for a finish?
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Jeff, those look real good- nice bold color and simple form gives it a classic look--
    Picture- use the flash-- if you get over exposed areas-- use a white cloth to cut the flash down. The pictures look like the camera moved with the long exposure time.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    Jeff, unique designs stand out in woodturning, and this one sure is unique. If you had taken it down to get it perfectly round it would have been to small. This was a good save. What did you use for a finish?
    Thanks Glenn!!

I used BLO/CA as the first coat and then for the top coat I use High Gloss Spray Laquer, about 3-4 coats. This gives it a High Gloss and I have seen a stopper or two a year later done this way and it still looks good.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"