Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tool is this

Blog Entries

What tool is this

Bought within a box of wood turning tools. Long wooden handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, could you post a picture of this item rotated 90*? I would like to see a picture of it from the side, rather then this one of the top.
    Len

3. Maybe chattering tool?

I have been scratching my head over this one... If it has a burr, it could be a scraper of some sort intended for flattening. I had thought about a chatter tool, but it looks pretty wide, but it could still work for that.

robo hippy

Just from that angle to me it looks like something someone cobbled together from scrap late one Friday night to make a handle to do some job. The bolts don't look too straight from that picture so maybe it was done in a hurry. It may be missing pieces. It may have been a very clever solution to some issue. Or kill some rats.

More views, especially closeups of any wear or contact marks, might generate some useful ideas.

Give it to Sherlock Holmes for a look. Some observations and dimensions could be clues: what size and thickness is that metal tab, is it made of steel, what is the diameter and length of the handle, what size are the bolts, do they have hex or carriage heads, does that odd bolt head in the front have a nut on the other side, how long is that bolt, does the handle have any markings, is the handle well worn, worn in any specific place which may hint of the forces applied, any paint, finish, or significant scratches, does the end of the handle have a hole for hanging, has the end been whacked with a mallet?

Until there is more information, I'm going to guess that someone broke their dustpan and tried to fix it twice then gave up.

JKJ

It could be a handle for a repetitive and quick drilling operation o something like that, where the tailstock ram is moved forward and back ?? just a thought
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the delay.

Blog Entries
    Forgot one.

Blog Entries
    A few more

Whatever the purpose may have once been, I would not want to introduce that tool to a piece of spinning wood. No ferrule and minimal wood left in the shank where the bolts are drilled through. There is too much chance it could blow apart if and when a catch occurs - IMO likely given the configuration.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I think it was used to mount a formed shaper blade type cutter to scrape a profile. I have an old Craftsman molding head for the table saw that uses 3 cutters that look like they might fit something like this. Not sure if it would work very well. The molding head worked but was very scary to use. It's gathering dust in a drawer.

Jim

Wow, that's different! The first picture make the steel part look like it could have been a piece of thin sheet metal instead of a carefully machined part!. A picture is worth a ...

JKJ

Handle for a flour sack.

I would hang it on the wall and when asked I'd knowingly state it is a " thingamajig " or "left handed ratsafrase rod".

Blog Entries
    So, if I understand you all correctly...and I think I do...this piece could be of great value to me if added to my current assortment wood turning tools.